Ongoing HTPC in the TV rack (1 Viewer)

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
Ok, as I´m not very happy with my solution at the moment, I´m planing a new "case" for my htpc. At the moment it´s in a midi tower that is placed in the corner of the living room between two furnitures. Doesn´t look good and because of it´s position, the very quiet CPU fan is strengthened a lot in this corner.

My TV rack has a nice little drawerfold without a drawer. So I´m now planning to build my htpc right in there. I´ll make some pics these days to show you from what I´m trying to tell you in my bad english here. :D

As my time is spare, I think it will take some weeks to finish it, but I´ll post every news here.

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
Ok, after some days of thinking about that (and asking my wife for permission... :D), I bought the needed things today. So here some first pics of my "project":

This is the raw material. Some wood to make the bottom and a second bottom for the DVD and card reader. Also the cards will be fixed there.
s1.jpg

This is all the stuff that has to go into the rack:
s2.jpg

And here all has to fit in. I already tested the two (well, how to tell it in english... :roll: ) "Schubladenschienen":
s3.jpg

And the rack itself with the new Panasonic plasma (yes, I gave the Hyiundai back):
s4.jpg

mama

Portal Pro
May 31, 2004
Germany
Ok, and here´s the result of my work today. It´s not finished, but it´s working. I want to fix the cables and build a kind of bridge to press the cards on the board. Also the reset button must be installed and maybe later a LCD. Then I´m thinking about some LEDs starting when you open the drawerfold.

Comments are welcome. ;)

Here are the pics:

s5.jpg

s6.jpg

s7.jpg

s8.jpg

s9.jpg

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi mama,

very interesting solution! :) Looks quite well.

I also currently search for a good solution for my system. This is a nice inspiration. I think i will size my tv rack, to see if this would work at my home. :p

Flip.

tomtom21000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 22, 2004
    Germany
    Looks quite good.
    But no fear of vibrations?
    How about the air circulation?

success for your efforts, anyway!

tomtom21000

mama

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Germany
    Thx folks.

Vibrations are nor prob. All drives and even the board are buffered with these little pads you can buy to nail under a chairs foot. ;) Works very good.

For the air circulation, I´m thinking about a water cooling, or at least one or two 80mm fans at the back of the rack. But that´s fine tuning.

mama

Portal Pro
    May 31, 2004
    Germany
    Ok, first evening watching TV with it, I must say there must be a fan the next days! It´s really hot in there and my ATI card began to flicker... :D

I´ll cut a 80mm whole out of the back and put a fan there blowing out. Also on the front, I´ll search for a nice cover for the fan and place one blowing the air in.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi mama,

short in german: Er meint elektromagnetische Abstrahlungen. Das hatte ich auch überlegt. Ein Computergehäuse ist nicht umsonst aus Metall. Ein Farradayscher Käfig gegen Einflüsse von / nach außen ist oft angebracht.

Flip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom