HTPC Thoughts and Questions (1 Viewer)

thunderclap

February 19, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I have an 2010 Dell Inspiron I'm converting into a HTPC. It's not a beefy system (AMD Athlon 64 X2 with 2GB RAM an ATI Radeon HD 3300) but should be powerful enough for what I want to do. The idea is to consolidate all my boxes (Tivo, PS3 (primarily for BR) and Roku) into a single system plan to install MediaPortal to handle my DVR recording (I have a tuner card installed) as well as handle the DVD's and Blu-Ray's I've converted. It seems like MediaPortal is the best option for what I would like to do. I also plan to install Plex so that I can stream recorded shows as well as my converted library to our bedroom tv via Chromecast. (I can't stream recorded shows from my Tivo. This is what started my move to create a HTPC.)

I've done some searching but, unfortunately, still have a few questions:

1.) One of the things I would like to do is install Steam for light gaming. If there is a show recording will I be able to access steam and play a game at the same time?

2.) To conserve power I would like the option to have the system go to sleep when not in use. However, I would also like to have the computer wake up when a scheduled recording is set to take place. Is this possible?

3.) I do have a Netflix, Vudu and Amazon Prime account and would like to be able to access these via MediaPortal if possible. I can then do away with the Roku. I haven't been able to find much information on Netflix and Amazon Instant Video plugins. Are there any available?

If some of these questions have been asked and answered I apologize for asking again.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey, via ipad, so Short answer:

Ad1: yes, Tvservice is Running as a service.

Ad2: yes, there is a Plugin called Powerscheduler which does this job.

Ad3: do not know this

Regards

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom