HTPC Upgrade: Intel or AMD-Which way to go? | Page 2

Discussion in 'Mainboards / CPU / RAM' started by 1gkar, August 13, 2013.

1. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

kiwijunglist Super Moderator

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,845 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Scythe you should be comparing the i5 with i3 3225 which has hd4000.

I disagree with above that buying an Intel chip means you have to buy a dedicated GPU. However as I said earlier I prefer amd integrated GPU.

The amd a10 is not needed as even a6 5400k is fast enough. Its always nice to have spare power however if you are spending more then the money should be saved towards a hd7750.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. 1gkar
    • Premium Supporter

1gkar MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    Yes, but my AVR does not have dedicated HDMI connections, but does have both optical & coax SPDif connections.[DOUBLEPOST=1376457381][/DOUBLEPOST]
    :p ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1376457519][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Will the new range have it's own socket type? Or are they going to be FM2? If the latter, not sure if prudent to wait; there may be even less a range of ATX available in NZ by then.

4. mm1352000
    • Team MediaPortal

mm1352000 Development Group

Ratings:
    +8,175 / 17
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Okay... but I don't really understand your point in this response. :confused:
    My point was that I was agreeing with Scythe42 who said that you don't need to worry too much about the audio solution for the PC because the connection between the PC and AVR is going to be digital (whether it is HDMI or S/PDIF). Unless your audio hardware has to do digital-to-analog or analog-to-digital conversions, it is not too important what you get... as long as the drivers aren't terrible.

5. 1gkar
    • Premium Supporter

1gkar MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    At NZ$260+, don't think that will happen :eek:[DOUBLEPOST=1376458523][/DOUBLEPOST]
    6800=100w TDP: way too hot for my case without custom cooling
    6700-65w TDP: same as the A8-6500. The iGPU for the 6700 is HD8670D, whereas the 6500 is HD 8570D. So not much change, & wouldn't believe to be the difference in running NZ FreeviewHD fully.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piledriver_(microarchitecture)

6. 1gkar
    • Premium Supporter

1gkar MP Donator

Ratings:
    +37 / 0
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs
    My point in response was the inference I drew from Scythe42's assumption I was to be using HDMI as my audio. I should have used his original quote, but found your response to be easier to respond to. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by a moderator: August 14, 2013
  7. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,845 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs

www.google.com

It seems like cost is a factor. Buy the AMD A6-5400K (<$90NZD) or the more pricey A8/i3-3225. Grab 2x4GB DDR1600/1866 el-cheapo ram. /thread.

Last edited: August 14, 2013
  8. radical

radical Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +219 / 1
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Next AMD APU-Generation (Kaveri, coming early 2014) will get a new Socket (FM2+).
    FM2+ Mainboard will be compatible with FM2 APU (Trinity,Richland), but an FM2 MB isn't compatible with FM2+ APU.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Owlsroost
    • Team MediaPortal

Owlsroost Development Group

Ratings:
    +4,057 / 1
    Home Country:
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Show System Specs
    1gkar - as a baseline, what system are you using at the moment, and how does it perform ?

My own feeling is that if you want the highest CPU power efficiency then Intel is the best choice, but to get enough GPU performance you need HD4000 graphics (or HD3000 for the older generation) - this rules out all the low-end (cheap) CPUs. Adding a GPU card to a low-end CPU blows away some of the power efficiency and adds cost, so that's a difficult trade-off....

If first cost is very important, I think the AMD APUs are easily the best choice in terms of cost versus GPU performance (and the motherboards are usually cheaper than those for Intel). From the reviews I've seen, the idle power consumption of AMD is comparable to Intel - it's the 'on load' power that's higher with AMD. I guess you've read this - http://www.anandtech.com/show/6335/amds-trinity-an-htpc-perspective

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. kiwijunglist
    • Team MediaPortal

Doctor
    Ratings:
    +1,845 / 9
    Home Country:
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Show System Specs

There are other AMD + Intel CPUs suitable for HTPC that are coming out before then. Like over the next 3/12 or so.

11. rspierenburg

rspierenburg Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +26 / 0
    Home Country:
    Canada Canada
    Show System Specs
    Just to throw my 2 cents in. I have an i3-540 with integrated video and this thing will play everything, so unless you plan to use your HTPC for other purposes as well (gaming, office use etc).

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!