Huge problems uninstalling / re-installing MP (1 Viewer)

mhuelsew

Portal Member
July 26, 2005
Hi,

I face big problems when trying to uninstall but especially re-install MP. This occurs with both 0.13 as well as 0.20 - When I install the setuo returns with "Installation error - Error Code 2908". I went through the complete registry, deleted everything that has to do with MediaPortal...I also used programs like Registry Mechanic, RedClean etc.

I think the problem occured when I tried to install 0.1.3 over a 0.2.0RC1 version - setup returned with a error message any after that nothing works anymore. After some time I maanged to get MP 0.2.0 installed again, but several plugins etc failed to start, also changing from window to fullscreen mode.

Is there a tool available that deletes all MP-related content and "unassigns" all drivers, registry entries etc.??? Or do I really have to re-format the harddisc :-((((?

ANY hint/advice is HIGHLY appreciated!!!!

Thanks a lot!!! MACGREEK

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Just delete the C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal folder, everything is installed into there.

Also if you've installed .NET 2.0, uninstall it and reinstall .NET 1.1 + SP1 + hotfixes.

mhuelsew

Portal Member
July 26, 2005
I tried this any much more...seems that something major went wrong... I un-installed & re-installed .NET several times, I manually deleted all registry entries, I tried the Microsoft RB fixes - the only thing that works is the .NET installation.

Whenever I try to install MediaPortal (regardless .13 or .20RC1), setup interrupts with error code 2908 (DLL could not be installed).

I gave up no & look for other software. Maybe some day I´ll try again when the setup is more stable i.e. this conflict will be solved. If I should provide you any data (log files or something) please tell me what you need, I´ll post it here then.

BR MACGREEK

mhuelsew

Portal Member
July 26, 2005
I dont want to give it up...

Hi again,

although it seems that I am nearly alone with my problem I would like to keep the discussion open & propose to create something like a "clean-up tool" that really removes everything that has to do with MP.

I uninstalled & reinstalled EVERYTHING again, but could again reproduce the failure that "moving" between MP 0.1.3 & MP 0.2.0 something happens that corrupts the installer information with the result of "error code 2908". This even has an effect on .NET itself, i. e. .NET update installation returned the same code 2908 when trying to install. I also used programs like regcleaner, reg. mechanic, several Microsoft SDK tools without real success...

Digging a bit deeper in the .NET installation & structure shows that this failure usually happens when a previous installation using Windows Installer failed. But I did not get a failure notice on the first install - only when trying to up-/downgrade. Whatever, bz clicking "OK" around 300 times when the installation failure message occurs, the install stops with a "exceptional failure". Then the icons are not linked onto the desktop but - funny - MP is installed and even seems to work OK when starting directly out of the installation folder.

So: After some trying the program works, but the installation seems still to be corrupt. And I don't know yet what will happen when the next release comes & I try to install it. I hope I don't have to again spend hours to get it work somehow...

Any hint or tool that cleans up the registry & delete all files & folders is really appreciated!!! (I would do it myself but skill & time dont allow it).
A merry christmas to all of you!!!!

BR Michael

cheezey

Community Plugin Dev
August 26, 2004
West Yorks, UK
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
I've run upgrades & downgrades to and from MP 0.1.3/.NET 1.1 and MP 0.2/.NET 2.0 and have never encountered any error.

MP installs everything into the C:\Program Files\Team Mediaportal\Mediaportal folder, so if you delete that it's all gone, there's little - if anything in the registry.

The error code returned is a windows installer error code and means "Could not register component", the fact you got this trying to reinstall .NET shows it's not an MP issue. It sounds as though something else has screwed your machine up, e.g. another install.

I think the lack of response on this topic shows that the MP install/uninstall is rock solid.

My advice to you is to reinstall XP SP2 + hotfixes and try again. If that fails, format c: and reinstall XP :?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom