HVR-1600 works fine on analog but not QAM? (1 Viewer)

litljay

Portal Member
March 2, 2009
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Well, I'm back here on Earth for the time being, anyway.

I uninstalled WinTV, rebooted, tried again, and got the same result:

View attachment 83464

J

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again litljay

Please accept my profound apologies for the delay in response - I'd completely understand if you were more than slightly ticked off or disappointed with my lack of response. :sorry:
    This issue *did* (and still does) have me stumped. I'm *far* more knowledgeable about TV Server problems than MP problems... and this is not a TV Server problem. I do at least have an idea now about what may be wrong. I think the issue may be related to Microsoft updates/packages. Specifically the Microsoft VC++ redistributable. I suggest that you reinstall the VC++ 2008 and 2008 SP1 redist packages and make sure you're up to date with your Microsoft updates.

Sorry once again...
    mm

litljay

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Home Country
    Ticked off? Naw! Disappointed? That feels like too strong of a word, but I guess its the closest thing. We'll go with "mildly disappointed" but Glad you are back.

I'm sure you understand that 19 days out in the cold was likely to lead to a defection. I'm using NextPVR and like it quite a bit, but the overhead of that program is bonkers! It's going to be really sluggish until I upgrade the hardware or go back to MP.

I gotta say that I'm really curious about the updates, though. They were slipstreamed into my install disk (I think), and I had to spend very little time on WU after the install was complete. I make my own install disks from these so that I don't have to spend so long on WU after every install (I'm in the IT biz):
    [Addon] Onepiece XP Post-SP3 AIO Update Pack v4.7.0 - WinCert.net Forums

I'll keep an eye on this thread and report my results back if I try MP again.

J

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Cheers for being so gracious. :D
    I'll keep one eye on this thread in case you do decide to try MP again.

All the best with NextPVR,
    mm
    :)

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    I also forgot to mention in my original post that I am aware that HVR-1600 models 74551 and 74031 don't do clear QAM. Mine is a 74041.
    I looked at your dxdiag log and observed how your 1600's driver is listed... while I'm using Win 7 and you're on WinXP/SP3 it seems odd the model No. in the identifier would be different. Also, yours had a whole series of drivers listed and my Win 7 install says n/a, odd, eh?

Yours:
    Name: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC/QAM Combo
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_5B7A&SUBSYS_74440070&REV_00\4&3191A3E6&0&3070

Mine:
    Name: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1600 NTSC/ATSC Combo
    Device ID: PCI\VEN_14F1&DEV_5B7A&SUBSYS_74040070&REV_00\4&35E69562&0&38A4
    Driver: n/a
    Just trying to understand why it won't run... Also, you only have 1GB of RAM which could be causing issue... how's plain video (DVD) or a HD .mkv file play - I'm wondering about the deinterlace method you've selected on that HD3450 which may be marginal. Do you have a 1080i content .ts file you can run - that'd also be a good test!

Other observations: As I was posting your driver detail I observed how it has QAM in the title and calls it a 74440 while my ID 74040 has QAM absent (I only use ATSC OTA) from the description while yours has it present...

litljay

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Home Country
    So you suspect the driver and/or system spec's, Andrew? That seems unlikely for three reasons:
    1 - WinTV worked
    2 - NextPVR works (marginally)
    3 - MP WORKED before I switched from analog to clear QAM

The hardware demands of NPVR are so high that I really wouldn't mind going back to MP, but I need some good, solid theories to hang my hat on, or at least strong conjecture to test.

IOW, keep the ideas coming!!!

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi again

Well I can only reiterate what I said in response to your earlier logs. The same thing applies to the last logs that you posted. There is absolutely *nothing* wrong with TV Server or the tuner. Timeshifting starts fine. I'd almost put money on the fact that you could record something with TV Server and play the recording in other software like VLC. The fly in the ointment is something in TsReader:

2011-06-10 22:05:10.328125 [Info.][MPMain(1)]: TSReaderPlayer: Unable to start playing

Whether that is related to the format of the QAM channel that you're testing with or some kind of C++ redist installation issue... I'm not sure.

You know what - if you could attempt to record a small sample (~50 MB) and upload that to our FTP server then I could check if the file plays here. If you can't record I'll look really stupid, but I can handle that. If the recording plays here then the issue is either an issue with your system or something that's been fixed in 1.2.0b. If it doesn't play here then it will be clear that there is a bug in TsReader's handling of the LOCACC stream. Any way you look at it, there would be new information and progress.

FTP login and file naming guidelines at the bottom of -->this page<--.

mm

PS: you have attempted to view channels other than LOCACC haven't you?

litljay

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Home Country
    I have reinstalled VC++ 2008 and SP1.

I temporarily #%$!@'ed some RAM from another machine and saw no improvement.

...and I can't record anything.

What now?

J

Andrew H

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 8, 2007
    Alabama
    Home Country
    Have you tried testing your 1600 using an antenna and tuning your local OTA stations? Just to see if this is related to your 1600, C++, tuning capability, recording capability, deinterlacing/video capability, RAM, etc. I'm not sure if you have this pinpointed to any of these issues as yet and playing a recorded .ts would be helpful as would if you could record one... My 1600 has worked like a champ for many years now...

litljay

Portal Member
    March 2, 2009
    Home Country
    OK, now I'm furious.

My cable provider pipes about 20 or so channels in analog alongside the few dozen clear qam channels that I use, so I connected the cable to the analog side of the HVR-1600, scanned, tried to tune, and got the same old result.

WinTV worked fine. NextPVR works fine. This eliminates problems with my hardware, tuner card, drivers, or cable service. I could try MythTV next, but the configuration is positively archaic.

MEDIAPORTAL IS THE PROBLEM. Let's focus on that. I can't say much more than the logs I have already posted say unless someone asks something new.

What do I do next to fix mediaportal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom