Hw and Sw encoding (1 Viewer)

r0cc0

January 29, 2006
I have a simple question (I think).

I have an analog tv-card (leadtek tv2000 xp). I have connected my external digital-box (DVB-T) to the video-in (cvbs) connector in the tv-card. I am not using the tv-tuner at all for the moment, just the video-in.

I have read in this forum that mp doesn't work very well with sw encoding cards, but isn't that just for the tv-tuning part?

Isn't the video already encoded by the digital-box?

My card works fine with the Winfast PVR software that came along with the card. Both through the tuner and CVBS.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

r0cc0 said:
    I have read in this forum that mp doesn't work very well with sw encoding cards, but isn't that just for the tv-tuning part?

Nope, most of the problems are because of the (lack of the) encoding part.

r0cc0 said:
    Isn't the video already encoded by the digital-box?

Nope. Your TV provider encodes the signal to MPEG2 and sends it to your box. Your digital-box decodes this signal to normal analogue signals. The CVBS signal from your box to your tv card is analogue. This signal has to be encoded again by your PC, to have proper material (MPEG2).

You should consider to buy a DVB-T card. In this case the picture quality on the computer will improve. Because the decoding (box) and encoding (PC) part is not necessary any more.

Flip.

FlipGer

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 27, 2004
    Leipzig, Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi,

r0cc0 said:
    Do you know if there is grapfic cards with tv-in and hw encoder that is supported by mp?

Ok, here are still some small missunderstandings.
    - we are talking about TV Tuner cards, not graphics cards :)
    - you are using DVB, DVB does not need an HW encoder, the DVB signal is already encoded by your provider
    - only analog cards need an HW encoder
    - if you want to connect your box to your PC you need a analog card with HW encoder (like Hauppauge PVR X50 series)
    - if you want to plugin your antenna directly to your PC (tuner-in), you need a DVB-T card

r0cc0 said:
    Otherwise, I have been looking on this capture card.
    http://www.digital-everywhere.com/cms/en/index.php

This card is a good choice for direct DVB-T usage on the PC :)

Flip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom