Ongoing I blame MediaPortal ;) (1 Viewer)

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks guys :)

Means a lot knowing someone else likes it :notworthy: (y)

J.

robbo100

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 5, 2009
    UK
    Home Country
    So........

How much do you think it has cost you to make (for case and heat pipes - not including the PC components)?

It truly is a very nice piece of kit, I am very impressed!

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Hi there,

Too much!! I could have bought an ATech one for less, but the spec wouldn't have matched what I was after (but do I really need 6 x 3.5" and 4 x 2.5", etc..). And to be honest, its been the fun of designing and making it :D

The case should handle an i5/i7 ok and a higher spec GPU - thats if I ever upgrade (but this is purely a HTPC, so I cant see a point, unless MP2 needs something better).

If it hadnt been for MePo I would never have bothered... a decent media centre solution, deserves a decent case ;)

I subbed most the work out, as I havent got time myself anymore (did when I started).

I should really sit down and add it all up... but I reckon £700+ for the case (excluding any computer parts) - might be even £800+. The heatpipes were over 200 quid!

J.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    HAHA :O

It can be done cheaper, and I've learnt tricks to reduce cost - ie dont use as much copper! reduced machining costs, cheaper heat pipes, etc.

In theory you could knock a few hundred off the price - probably about total would be £500 - £600

J.

Jay_UK

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • October 6, 2009
    Derby
    Home Country
    Fiver???

For that much, speak to SpudR - I'm sure he can sort you out with something (and give you change) ;)

J.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom