I can't get video from my cable box - help! (1 Viewer)

PENVermillion

July 18, 2006
I'm not a computer rookie by any means, but this is my first foray into any kind of media-center building, so forgive me if I've missed something obvious.

I recently set up a box with a Hauppauge PVR-150 (non-MCE) tuner, and just an old GeForce2 card for video out. I have digital cable TV, which requires a cable box to get all of the digital channels, but they also send analog channels across the cable. That means that you can plug the cable directly into your TV and it works, but the picture isn't as clear, and it's missing all the higher-numbered channels.

When I first set up MP (0.2.0.0), I plugged the cable directly into the PVR-150. I was able to let the setup program scan the channels, and it correctly recognized all of the analog channels, and worked properly.

Flush with success, I then set about getting MP to operate through the cable box. First step was getting the IR blaster working, which took a couple tries (due to my own inexperience - it was actually pretty easy to do). I succeeded at that, and I could get the MP program to change the channels on the cable box. My problem is that I can't get the output from the cable box to show up in MP.

The cable box has 2 means of output - it has composite video, and coax. Currently, I run the coax to the TV, and the TV stays on channel 3 to display the cable-box output. I know that works fine - the TV displays everything just fine. Likewise, I plugged the composite video from the cable box to the TV, and it worked ok there too. However, neither method shows anything on my MP box - I can select the channel, and I see the IR blaster change the channel on the box to the channel I specified in the preferences, but all I get is a black screen for output.

I've set the channel up as being controlled by a set-top box, and I've tried all 4 different means of input (I think CVBS#1 would be the correct choice for composite in, right?), and I get nothing from composite video. Likewise, since I know the coax output sends to channel 3, I've tried plugging in the coax and letting the setup wizard search for channels. Sure enough, it finds channel 3 (and no others). However, when I switch to channel 3, again, no display.

Does anyone with knowledge of cable boxes (mine is a Motorola, but I'm not sure of the exact model number) know why my Hauppage card seems unable to display the output from my box, even though my ancient TV handles it without any problems?

Marcusb

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 16, 2005
    Melbourne
    It's a long shot, but how about plugging in the composite to the tv to make sure there actually is a signal there.

It sounds like you have it all set up correctly and haven't made any of the usual n00b mistakes that usually happen in this area.

Welcome to the wonderful world of HTPC. Nothing like it to make an advanced PC user feel like a beginner again ;-)

wewe

Portal Pro
    August 3, 2005
    Herxheim
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    hmmm - from what you describe it should work!

Does your STB have an S-Video out as well? Normally that's the much better choice and the PVR150 has an S-Video in.

But to say it clearly: in my case both ways did work - Composite and S-Video.

thanks+regards
    WeWe

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    I dont think its the setup thats the problem. You stated you used a GeForce 2 which is what I would assume a DirectX6 card? Definately wont support the VMR9 render required.

PENVermillion

July 18, 2006
    Marcusb said:
    It's a long shot, but how about plugging in the composite to the tv to make sure there actually is a signal there.

I did try this, and the composite video showed up on the TV just fine. One thing I might try later is to plug some other composite video source into the PVR-150 and see if I can get it to show up - I'm pretty sure I've got composite out on my old Gamecube.

wewe said:
    Does your STB have an S-Video out as well? Normally that's the much better choice and the PVR150 has an S-Video in.

I was hoping I'd be able to use S-video, but alas, my cable box doesn't have it. It actually does have a port with "S-video" stamped over it, but the hole is just sealed up with another piece of metal from behind. I'm assuming that S-video is an option on that particular model of box, and it's an option my cable company apparently passed on. :(

wewe said:
    I dont think its the setup thats the problem. You stated you used a GeForce 2 which is what I would assume a DirectX6 card? Definately wont support the VMR9 render required.

That's something to consider - I mean, the video card IS pretty ancient. The thing is, though, that it displays the TV output just fine when I plug the cable directly into the PVR-150, and take the cable box out of the circuit.

Is there anything "different" about the signal from the cable box than the signal from the cable itself? I would think it would have to be a universal standard for my TV to be able to display it, especially considering that the TV I'm testing with is pretty dated as well.

How should external channels appear in the channel list in setup? I notice that when I set them up to use CVBS, it shows the channel as something like:

250001/<channel>

Is that normal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom