I must get this thing up and running!! (1 Viewer)

bang

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
Okay, I finally got a machine fast enough to do what I want. Now, I need to know what extra components I need. The audio and video card are both integrated on the motherboard. So, I'm not sure if I need another video and audio card PLUS a TV Tuner card.

If I don't need another audio and video card, please explain how I can output the video/audio to the TV using S-video or A/V cables(yellow,red,white cables...don't know the actual name). If this can be obtained by the TV Tuner card alone, please let me know.

Thank you for a quick response.

Oh, if this helps.. I have an HP Pavilion P9852A:
P4 2.53 GHz/533
512 RAM DDR
3 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot

antonyfirewalk

Portal Member
November 28, 2004
UK
Sound

Hi there your onboard sound should be ok most hps have ac97 onboard sound.
What video and tv card do you have?.

check your onboard video as alot dont support d3d.

my lifeview dvb-t maps through my audigy sound card.

bear in mid if you want to record and view other channels at the sametime you will need 2 tv cards or a dual tuner.
hope this is helpful

Antony

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Your graphics card is in the I845G, it supports DirectX9 but not al feautures. So it should work ok, but if you run in performance trouble you could go out an buy full dx9 card. But i would give it a try first.

bang

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
wortelsoft is correct. My video card is an Intel 82845G. Not sure what the sound card. This may be a stupid question, but how am I going to get the sound and video out to the TV? Do some TV cards have the video and audio out on the card itself? Or do I use the ports (audio pictured) on my PC?
Sorry for the stupid question.
Picture.jpg

onkl

Portal Pro
February 18, 2005
Wageningen
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
bang said:
wortelsoft is correct. My video card is an Intel 82845G. Not sure what the sound card. This may be a stupid question, but how am I going to get the sound and video out to the TV? Do some TV cards have the video and audio out on the card itself? Or do I use the ports (audio pictured) on my PC?
Sorry for the stupid question.
Picture.jpg
If this is the motherboard of your PC, and, if I look at this
c00437816.jpg

picture, I do not doubt that (+HP told me so), you don't have any TV-out. As far as I know, TVout on capturecard is not supported in MP.
So, you'll eighter have to get a VGA->sVideo adapter (expensive) or a extra graphics card. Probably a new card is cheaper (as long as you stay at the bottom regions of the requirements)
A recent discussion on low-end GPU's

wortelsoft

Portal Pro
May 13, 2005
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
For the picture you need a tv out connection, but youre motherboard with onboard graphics might not have this. The sound should be connected to a sound in coonection. Were do you live? Because connection types vary througout the world.

bang

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
I'm in the US. I figured I'd have to get a video card for the output. Do I need to get another soundcard as well?

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
First of all... make sure the computer actually HAS a graphics card slot. My brother bought a machine based on that same motherboard and it was advertised as having upgradable graphics. But when he opened it up there was no slot on the motherboard. There was a place for it but to make a couple extra bucks they didn't install it.

bang

Portal Member
November 9, 2005
Well, it has 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. I already have a Wireless network card in one of the PCI slots.. I figured I can get an AGP TV Tuner card, PCI Video card, PCI sound card.

So, I'm guessing there is a video card slot... How else would I know besides the fact that it has PCI and AGP slots?

Also curious about the sound card question I had..
Thanks for your help by the way.

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
bang said:
Well, it has 3 PCI slots and 1 AGP slot. I already have a Wireless network card in one of the PCI slots.. I figured I can get an AGP TV Tuner card, PCI Video card, PCI sound card.

So, I'm guessing there is a video card slot... How else would I know besides the fact that it has PCI and AGP slots?

Also curious about the sound card question I had..
Thanks for your help by the way.

LOL, I guess I should have said AGP.

On board sound is ok. It really depends on what chipset is in that machine and how sensitive your hearing is.

I'd guess it has at least AC97 audio which seems to sound ok to most people. Newer intel boards have hi-def audio which takes about 20% to 30% less CPU to drive than the older audio and to a discriminating ear it's obviously better. I have high-def audio and I can tell a difference but I know people that can't.

You can get better sound through an expensive audio card but it really depends on how it sounds to you and if it's worth $100.

If you try it and it sounds ok to you then don't worry about it. If it sounds like there is too much noise or not enough dynamic range then look around at hi-def audio cards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom