I realise i'm in a minority here but IMO TV server really works when.... (1 Viewer)

pmcguire

Portal Pro
November 25, 2006
Home Country
Finland Finland
You have a dedicated 24/7 server running and just use clients to connect.

SQL services and all that cahooney really don't like being stopped, standby, wakup, sleep again. I installed RC3 on my windows home server box this weekend, configured the web plugin and it's awesome.
Machine is up 24/7 I don't have to worry about the TV service not starting, missing a recording or anything like that.

Highly recomended.:D

tourettes

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 7, 2005
    I have been running TVE3 on a single seat configuration with S3 in use. No issues during last few months and S3 cycle is done multiple times per day.

SQL server(s) dont care that much about the S3/S4, but many DVB cards have not so great drivers when it comes to S3/S4 support.

5Hundred

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I like to save electricity, it saves me money and all of us from a little less liberated carbon.

S3 standby works fine if you restart the tvservice after standby (mpstandbyhandler)

Use WOL for clients to connect.

I also have the machine wake up every night and reboot to "clear its head"

I'd rather people investigated how to get their machines to work properly instead of just burning up more resources needlessly.

pmcguire

Portal Pro
    November 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Finland Finland
    I'd rather people investigated how to get their machines to work properly instead of just burning up more resources needlessly.

Point taken and I agree with you, I just happen to have a home server running anyway that does my DHCP, backups a few "ahem" torrents and is my file storage (2.5TB)
    After spending months trying to get a stable power down, wake up, record, sleep and missing several recordings and suffering much abuse from her indoors. Moving the cards into the next room was a very simple decision. Just angry that I didn't do it earlier.

5Hundred

Portal Pro
    December 14, 2007
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    pmcguire I understand and support your own solution, i just didn't want it to become the standard way to run Mediaportal. I hope you stay in the minority with this one! :)

revs

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 1, 2007
    The Sauce of Worcester
    Home Country
    Wales Wales

Well the computer also acts as a file server, and does various tasks during the evening, so it needs to be on.

If it makes you feel a bit better though, I did replace two desktops, and a load of external HDs and large screens with a laptop a while ago - and the laptop is always sleeping, so thats my attempt to save a bit of power.

All of this is obviously totally pointless as anything I save is minuscule compared to the HUGE amounts of power needed in the company I work for (and most likely many others) to run servers 24/7 with aircon on full! nevermind eh! :)

winstonc69

Portal Member
    November 11, 2008
    I like to save electricity, it saves me money and all of us from a little less liberated carbon.

S3 standby works fine if you restart the tvservice after standby (mpstandbyhandler)

Use WOL for clients to connect.

I also have the machine wake up every night and reboot to "clear its head"

5 Hundred

Any chance of some guidance of how you got the WOL to work with client/server setup. This is exactly what i'm trying to achieve but have had very limited success for far.

Cheers

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Please do not hijack threads, just start a new one in the newcomers forum entitled something like "WOL help needed"

:D

RutgerDB

Portal Member
    October 30, 2006
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I agree with pmcguire, if you have a dedicated machine, use it for MP TV server. Works the best way.

My server is already running 24x7 to serve other 'needs'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom