I want to update translation for my language but... (1 Viewer)

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
...I want a few things cleared out first.

1) I see MPLE is probably outdate and/or inactive. Am I correct? I emailed LordMessi and I have no reply for days.

...anyway this is not vital for me to go on with the translation but...

2) I checked the greek strings.xml and the english strings.xml and there are major differences... I would expect the english strings.xml to have more strings (as it's probably the only CURRENT file), but there ARE strings in greek strings.xml (with very high ID numbers) that are NOT in the english file... are those strings belonging to plugins?

3) If I am correct, then implementing those strings in the main (greek) strings.xml, actually proceeds the strings used in the plugin's own language? This is why they are NOT included in the english strings.xml? (because english is the default for the plugins anyway)

Am I confused or I got it correctly?

4) How do I know how long a string can be? (to fit wherever is put)... it's a trial and error process or is there another way?

Please someone respond so I can start.

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
5) is there any simple way to know if and which strings changes or were added in new SVN? (like some report somewhere) Or we just have to check the whole english strings.xml file all the time?

James

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 6, 2005
    Switzerland
    NLS said:
    5) is there any simple way to know if and which strings changes or were added in new SVN? (like some report somewhere) Or we just have to check the whole english strings.xml file all the time?

Yes if you look at the SVN log when a change is made. Here you can see the log from the last change made:

http://svn.sourceforge.net/viewcvs..../language/English/strings.xml?r1=8587&r2=8603

You can get this sent to you via email if you sign up for the SVN email list. You will get all SVN changes, but a simple filter should work if you just want the changes made to the english strings.xml file.

/James

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    thanks man

now I am looking on HOW to sign up for the list :D

looked and couldn't find how
    help?

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    thanks man

(ah, and ultraedit rulez for anybody that doesn't already know)

NLS

Portal Pro
    April 26, 2006
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    (and started translation... I will first translate strings I see too often... then secondary stuff - if all ever)

mzemina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    NLS - Regarding your statement:
    NLS said:
    ...I emailed LordMessi and I have no reply for days...

LordMessi has been tied up (days and evenings) with real work and has not been spending any time in the forum or on the chat area so it maybe several months before he gets to spend any time back in the MP community again.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom