Ideas for people trying to keep their HTPC noise down (1 Viewer)

infinite.loop

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 26, 2004
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    and-81

same solution here.

HTPC is located in the basement. quite cool down there, and the noise doesnt bother any one :)

markr

Portal Member
    March 12, 2006
    south UK
    quiet pc

Another idea (one I have used - that makes a massive difference) is to alter the cabling for the fan's so that they run at a lower voltage. If you read the specs on a lot of the quiet fans, they just run slower and shift less air ! I purchased a cheap case ( made by Antler - its a small one can't remember the model) and run the case fan and the cpu fan from 7 volts (wired across +12 V and +5) from the PSU wiring. If you install the motherboard monitoring software the PC is happy as larry and if there is ever a problem it'll shutdown to save itself. So far mine has not overheated (I left it on with MP running in a window and the temp monitoring sw showing for 24 hours to see how hot it gets).
    The noisiest fan was in the PSU - so I have to dismantly that to get at the wires for that - and I connected everything to a spare drive connector on the output from the PSU.
    It's made a massive difference and means I have a very quiet case for £30 !
    Regards
    Mark

ziphnor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • August 4, 2005
    Copenhagen
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    Re: quiet pc

markr said:
    Another idea (one I have used - that makes a massive difference) is to alter the cabling for the fan's so that they run at a lower voltage. If you read the specs on a lot of the quiet fans, they just run slower and shift less air !

Thats a well-known classic. However, many recent motherboards have fan control support such that fan speeds can be lowered using software such as Speedfan. In other cases automatic fan control can be enabled in the BIOS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom