Identify shows through .nfo

Discussion in 'My TVSeries' started by pellegj, March 31, 2014.

1. pellegj

pellegj Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +17 / 0
    Home Country:
    Sweden Sweden
    Show System Specs
    Hi!

I been looking for a way to identify shows with a .nfo about the same way as Moving-Pictures do it, with an .nfo with a link to TheTVDB.
    My folder structure is as follows
    "Jericho\Jericho (s01) (720p.HDTV)\Jericho.S01E01.mkv"

What i would like to be able to do here is put an .nfo in the the top folder, in this case in the Jericho folder with a link (or just the TheTVDB ID) to TheTVDB Jericho page "http://thetvdb.com/?tab=series&id=79330" and by that way have MP-TVSeries pick up the correct show on scan so i dont have to correct the importer when it picks up a new show but selects the wrong one. I would like to simply put the .nfo in place when adding the new series to my folder structure end not have to think about it again.
    I guess this would not be a big thing when running with only one HTPC, but i have three and it would be nice not to have to fire them all up when adding a new show just to see so it picks the correct one.

I tried to search before posting this, but from what i can find .nfo files are not supported even though the first request for it came back in 2009 and have been accepted.

• Great Idea! Great Idea! x 1
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. RoChess
    • Premium Supporter

RoChess Extension Developer

Ratings:
    +1,659 / 2
    If you just name your folders/files correct, then it will import 100% correct. You can use 3rd party tools to do this automatic, such as SickBeard, or do it manually yourself via tools such as ReNamer.

4. Lehmden
    • Team MediaPortal

Lehmden Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +3,599 / 28
    Home Country:
    Germany Germany
    Show System Specs
    Hi.
    Not really. 2 fast examples: "Last Man Standing" or "Castle". Those never worked for me. Especially Castle as there are two shows with the same name and the same year (2009)...
    If TVSeries would use MKV tags like MP2 did this would be 100% correct. But that's the only way I know aside from .nfo (used by XBMC) to get a 100% match.

5. RoChess
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,659 / 2
    Well it is "Castle (2009)" and "Last Man Standing (2011)" (or alias "Last Man Standing (US)", or if you mean the other show "Last Man Standing (BBC3)"), so your files are not named correctly for a 100% flawless auto import. Of course it is easy to correct these mistakes afterwards, because if you force a new online lookup in GUI it will never auto accept a selection, but always show all available TheTVdB values.

You can verify this manually as well with the exact same query that MP-TVSeries uses.

Many results: http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Castle
    Single Show: http://www.thetvdb.com/api/GetSeries.php?seriesname=Castle+(2009)

6. ajs
    • Team MediaPortal

ajs Development Group

IT
    Ratings:
    +4,504 / 29
    Home Country:
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Show System Specs
    Great idea. To uniquely identify the series. If the root folder of the series have a file named tvshow.nfo, then subtract from it a link to show and all. example:
    Code (Text):
    1. http://thetvdb.com/index.php?tab=series&id=79349

Attached Files:

• tvshow.zip
      File size:
      204 bytes
      Uploaded:
      January 6, 2015
      Views:
  7. RoChess
    • Premium Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,659 / 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ajs
    • Team MediaPortal

ajs Development Group

IT
    Ratings:
    +4,504 / 29
    Home Country:
    Ukraine Ukraine
    Show System Specs

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!