Idiots guide to Fan Art (1 Viewer)

yatesd

Portal Pro
April 30, 2007
Hi All,

Wondered whether anyone could provide an idiots guide on how to create Fan Art? I would love to be able to put something back into this great Community whilst also filling some of the wholes in my own missing Series.

I downloaded the Photoshop script provided in an earlier thread and played around in PS a little last night but must admit to have not really got anywhere (PS skills are currently not existant :)).

Just a thought

Dave

spuck

Community Skin Designer
April 6, 2007
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
If you want skills you could do tutorials, like here :D
I'm sure you can find a lot of good stuff.

And I think the hard part is finding high res pictures for the shows. :p

Maybe we could make a list of good tutorials that can be useful for making fanart. I don't think you can fit everything in a little guide. :)

mcbelly

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 29, 2006
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ACtually I don´t use Photoshop (wayyyy to oversized for me), I use Paint.net (http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html), which is easier to handle (I think).

Short guide :
    1. Get your hands on a picture you want to use. As high-res as possible. Try Google image search (showname+wallpaper for ex.)
    2. in Paint.net goto file ->new. For 16:9 it should be about 1600x900 ;-)
    3. with the "Paint bucket" (under tools) make the background the color you want your image to be. Black is always simple ;-)
    4. Insert your hi-res picture and move it to the position you want to. You still can change it´s size etc.
    5. If there are areas you do not want (like logos, etc), you may use "rectangle select". Go to a black area. selsct a bit, and copy&paste. Now you have a "black spot" which you can lay over any parts you do not like. Of course you can do the same with lines you want to lengthen, etc.
    6. A very useful tool is the "clone stamp". Select it´s size via the brush width, and press CTRL and left mouse. Try it, very useful....

Let´s say you have an image, but you still need the shows logo. Get it as an image and drag it onto your image. Paint will ask you whether you want it as a new layer - yes you do. Move it to the point you want. There might be a box around the image, or sth similar. No Problem, under "layers" you have the "Layer Properties". Take care, that layer name is the name of your logo, and not "background". Try the different blending modes for the one you want. Very useful.....
    Oh, you have to do that right after dragging the logo on your image. After that it´s too late....

Did I mention the "save" button - do it from time to time.....possibly with different names, even though the back button works....

When you´re done save it as seriesID_dark/light_seriesname.png and try it on MP.

This is a really short guide, but should get you going...it´s really not that hard. Hardest part is getting the right images.... ;-)

Have fun !

mcbelly

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom