If the same channel exists on DVB-T and analog, information is overwritten (1 Viewer)

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    I have now two tuners, one analog and another DVB-T. All analog channels also broadcast on digital (but not the other way around), so I have several channels duplicated (which is fine for me because the building's antena has not beed adapted to DVB-T yet, so some channels are much better on analog).

The problem is this:

• Start with analog channels only,
    • Go to TV Cards and tune DVB channels,
    • Channels with the same name overwrite existing analog channels; the analog channel data is not lost but in the future this channel works as DVB only.

Renaming analog channels before tuning DVB is a workaround. But you have to take care of EPG configuration as well (so the EPG grabber has the new channel names). Here I belive it's much better not to overwritte analog channels with DVB-T ones, and keep them apart.

Windows Version: Microsoft Windows XP Pro SP2
    CPU Type: AMD XP2500+
    Memory: 512GB DDR333 (2x256, Dual channel)
    Motherboard: Shuttle FN41U (S5011 v1.3)
    Motherboard Chipset: NVIDIA nForce2 IGP / nForce2 RAID MCP
    Motherboard Bios: Award V6.0PG BIOS, 4MBit flash memory
    Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon 9600
    Video Card Driver: Catalyst 6.13
    Sound Card: built in
    Sound Card AC3:
    Sound Card Driver:
    1. TV Card: Hauppauge PVR-350
    1. TV Card Type: analog
    1. TV Card Driver: 2.0.35.23258
    2. TV Card: Hauppauge HVR-900
    2. TV Card Type: DVB-T
    2. TV Card Driver: 2.5 beta
    Video Codec: Mpeg2Dec
    Audio Codec: Intervideo Non CSS Audio Decoder for Hauppauge
    Satelite/CableTV Provider:
    HTPC Case: Shuttle SN41G2v3
    Power Supply: Shuttle SN41G2v3, 250W
    Remote: iMON Knob
    TV: Loewe Cantus
    TV - HTPC Connection: S-Video

MediaTobiPortal

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2004
    That´s not really a bug, is it ?
    In my case it´s the other way around. I have an analog and a DVB-T card, too.
    All DVB-T channels are braodcasted analog, but not all analog channels are broadcasted digital.
    I confirm that the overwriting problem exists and that there´s a lot of work (renaming) to do to get everything working.
    What do you mean with "keeping channel apart" ? I think combining channels is really a good feature.

I sometimes have problems with reception of some channels, aswell analog as digital. I real improvement for me would be a function, that detects a missing signal and in case there´s no reception switches over to the other card... but this is a feature request and not a bug.

A way to get rid of all those channel problems could be to uplaod working channellists for every location....

Tobi

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    It is a bug, the analog channel is no longer accesible when DVB-T data is added; the analog channel is effectively lost.

Look at this scenario: I have channel A on analog and digitial, MediaPortal overwrittes channel A on analog with A on digital so I have only channel A on DVB-T. Now when I record channel A I can't watch any other digital channel. If it didn't do this I could record channel A on analog and watch any digital channel.

hansdegit

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2005
    Schagen, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    In my opinion, this is not a bug in itself. The resulting behaviour when tuning into these channels is.

It is because MP uses the iChannelNr field in the Channel table to tune in to the analog channel. IMHO, MP should use the Frequency field, not iChannelnr, because frequency is more accurate.

igalan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 30, 2005
    Barcelona
    Home Country
    Spain Spain
    Keep in mind that several DVB-T channels can broadcast in the same frequency, so it's not that easy.

hansdegit

Portal Pro
    May 18, 2005
    Schagen, The Netherlands
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    hansdegit wrote:
    It is because MP uses the iChannelNr field in the Channel table to tune in to the analog channel. IMHO, MP should use the Frequency field, not iChannelnr, because frequency is more accurate.

Igalan responded (and rightly so):
    Keep in mind that several DVB-T channels can broadcast in the same frequency, so it's not that easy.

I should have been more specific. I meant to say that, when tuning with an analog TV card, MP should use frequency in stead of iChannelNr.

MediaTobiPortal

Portal Pro
    December 13, 2004
    Yes, that´s right !!!!

MP should use the analog frequency instead of the channel number, I agree 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom