I'm going crazy with remotes, help, Money no Option (1 Viewer)

lookinup

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
ok So here we go, For my HTPC I am running a pentium D840 and 2 gigs of ram along with an Nvidia 6600 GT 256mb video card. To make a long story short I first tried win mce with media portal and I could never get the remote working. I used both original and the substitute driver found here and got nothing at all. I did all the usual stuff and used fresh batteries etc. Then I get a free Kworld Global TV terminator and put that in but the remote hardly even controls what it is supposed to in it's own software. So I'll toss that too. I also Have a Twinhan 1020 dvb-s card that has a usb remote and I've tried installing the remote software without the card and still get no remote function at all.
Ok so Now I have a fresh winxp sp2 os on my HTPC and am wanting to know what the best way is to get a remote that will work with media portal and also that I can use as a mouse. I was looking at the iMon inside remote and it seemed pretty cool since it interfaces with your 20 pin power plug to turn your computer on and off. At this point I don't care what I need to buy I just want this thing up and running, I've been messing with it for about 6 months now. I don't want or need to watch tv through it as I subscribe to dishnetwork and have their PVR. I have a collection of around 700 movies on my central win 2003 server that I want to watch on my media center. All the movies are in subfolders named after the movie and all are in a "movies" folder. Some have two parts, some have 3 just depending on length. All are divx/xvid format and as you can imagine it took a very very long time to encode all my DVD's. Please any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I've searched all over these forums, read faq's followed directions for install but still haven't had any luck. I would rate my technical ability as very high as I design and build all my computers and servers and deploy many different types of software on each platform. Again thanks for help or steering me in the right direction. I'm just so frustrated now because I don't have as much time to play as I used too. (two Kids, full time job, etc.)

lookinup

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Home Country
Doesn't anybody have any ideas? I'm willing to try anything

Noelix

Portal Pro
February 18, 2006
Salt Lake City, UT
Home Country
Don't know what to tell ya, I have the MCE remote as well and I have had zero problems with it. There are a couple different models of the MCE remotes floating around though. Not all are equal. The one I have is the EU model which comes with four extra buttons on the bottom. Here's a crappy ebay shot of it (I am not at home at the moment): http://www.bytestars.com/ebay/large/DSCN3650.JPG. And here's the American version of the same remote: http://www.noelix.com/blog/images/remote.jpg

If you have any remote other than this, you should attempt to identify it and try to get the right drivers for it. Even if you can't get drivers for it, you should be able to use the HIP software which can detect any remote pointing device. You just have to spend a great deal of time configuring the settings for it in that case (search the forums for more info on HIP).

If you DO have the remote in either of the pictures, and it's still not working, then it's a hardware issue. I had a problem when I first plugged in the IR receiver as well. But the problem was my motherboard, as I tried other usb devices and they were not recognized. It could be the IR receiver or the remote itself also, and you may need to get a new remote. There's a list of supported remotes in the configuration application; you could get any one of those and it should work with MP just fine. Hope I was of some help.

lookinup

Portal Member
February 1, 2007
Home Country
Thanks for the info/suggestions. The MCE remote that I have is the U.S. Version without the extra buttons. I had successfully installed the remote and used it with no problem on a fresh Media Center install. Where I ran into trouble was when I went to xp pro and media portal and tried to get the remote to work. I tried both versions of the driver, both the OEM and the tweeked driver and I couldn't get anything. Now I'm Just sitting Idle with my HTPC with winxp and only essential programs. No media portal yet. I guess I was just hoping for a quick and easy remote fix so I didn't have to mess around a long time making something work. I know with time I can get any of my remotes to work either directly to media portal or through Girder. I just don't have enough time to mess with things anymore now that I have another baby on the way and my honey do list is about 6 pages long. Thanks for the reply I appreciate it.:D

Taipan

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 23, 2005
    Melbourne
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Hi lookinup,

I am a bit confused by your description of your remote control issue - I am using MediaPortal on XP Pro (SP2) and my MCE remote works perfectly "straight out of the box" - no drivers or updates were required.

So I don't understand why yours doesn't work - unless it is not a genuine Microsoft MCE remote? Maybe it is a third-party one (HP or Philips, or....) that requires third-party drivers? Does it have "Microsoft" written on the label on the back?

NickName

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 23, 2006
    Gold Coast
    Home Country
    I think you may have a faulty remote? I have 4 MCE remotes and they have all worked just by plugging them in and ticking the box in Mediaportal setup labelled "use MCE remote". I have used them for over a year on multiple versions of Mediaportal and in MCE, XP Pro & XP Home.
    They don't support mouse movements but support just about everything else.
    I don't love Microsoft but I highly recommend their remotes! :)
    They even withstand my kids (ab)use!

You didn't install any third party drivers for your remote did you? I ask as MCE and XP Pro support it 'out of the box'. You do need drivers for XP home but it's only two files and easy to install. I can supply them if you need them?

I'd just use Mediaportal's built-in driver until you are sure it works 100%. Then you can experiment with the newer plugin driver.

Good luck.

Regards,

Nick Name.

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Have you checked in device manager for ehome receiver, under usb controllers.

Should also be under HID devices as MS infrared Transceiver.

Not totally sure of the next bit but someone else can confirm or not, as may be part of my MS keyboard.

Keyboards MS remote control Keyboard keys

If they are there then The drivers are installed ok.

After that, if above all ok and a new set of batteries installed (leave batteries out for 30 minutes before reinstalling, capacitor may need to discharge, old problem).

I would say your remote is the problem.

lookinup

Portal Member
    February 1, 2007
    Home Country
    yeah everything looked good under the hardware manager for the e-home infared device, I spent about 48 hours straight without any sleep working on the new babies room so I may be "allotted" some computer play time from wife for being a good little husband and doing something I was supposed to do. I'll Try setting up everything again tonight after I get off work. Now does it make a difference if I install the e-home reciever first or Mediaportal first? Also I know the remote is good because it works my wifes HP Laptop without the reciever. and I have had it working well with it's own reciever before. I have 3 or 4 usb IR recievers for various devices that I've collected over the last couple years. If I can find the time I'd love to get one of those Logitech Harmony 890's or 1000's and play around with macro's and all that good stuff. Then I'd just need a fridge beside the couch and I'd be set for the weekend. Thanks for all the help guys I really do appreciate you taking the time to reply to my posts.

Eric

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Eric

The only other time i had a problem with the ehome receiver not working, was playing in the bios and had turned off a few things that i do not need.
    One was the parallel port and the other the serial port and my remote stopped working afterwards, problem now cannot remember turning which one back on cured my problem (both enabled and as everything PEACHY leaving alone).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom