IMDb+ Plugin 2.1.0.291 with IMDb+ Scraper v4.9.xxx (3 Viewers)

fredco

Portal Pro
November 13, 2010
Home Country
Netherlands Netherlands
Country flag
Patience I have plenty. No rush whatsoever.
I edited my first post and added all IMDB tt-numbers to the files. Is that sufficient? Then I'll edit my other posts also.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Country flag
    Patience I have plenty. No rush whatsoever.
    I edited my first post and added all IMDB tt-numbers to the files. Is that sufficient? Then I'll edit my other posts also.
    The way I am forced to obtain the English title when IMDb is translating the page to Dutch is annoying.

Easiest way would be for you to force Moving-Pictures to use a VPN that forces imdb.com to show you US page, because then you have none of these localisation issues. But I did play around with tricking imdb.com before but never got that fully integrated. The existing method does work, but it relies heavy on advanced RegEx detection, and I fear with all the changes they have done that this broke down.

And yes, those tt-IDs are very useful, but the core issue is pretty much the same for all, so if I fix it for one movie, they normally all get fixed, so don't put too much effort into it.

For now you have two workarounds available, and that is to overwrite the title via XML rename, or to use a VPN on the machine where Moving-Pictures scrapes from (if it's a dedicated HTPC that will be easy).

Instead of a full rewrite which I've dreaded for years, I'll see if I can do a temporary fix on search-node and details-node to deal with localization. That might have a major impact in how IMDb+ works, but we'll cross that bridge when I get there.

ejvdh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Country flag
    For some reason it seems that the imdb+ scraper is not updated automatically anymore. it remains stuck at 4.10.7, even though it records that it has done a 'scraper update check' recently (as per the imdb+ info window). Is there a way to manually do an update? my understanding is the latest version is 4.10.10. Many thanks.

fredco

Portal Pro
    November 13, 2010
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Country flag
    @ejvdh: I had the same question in 2019 about manually doing an update and got this answer from @RoChess:

@fredco, those are settings within the main MediaPortal.xml config file.

You should be able to modify those with the MediaPortal Extension plugin in GUI -- Extensions

Or open the mediaportal XML config file with notepad or alike and look for IMDbplus config section.

Specifically look for: IMDbPlus > plugin_options_sync_interval that has default value of 24 to lower impact on IMDb.com website

What I would recommend though (setting I use myself) is to change "plugin_options_sync_on_startup" to 'yes'.

That way everytime you launch MediaPortal it forces a new update, so it only adds extra pressure on IMDb.com website when you close/open MediaPortal

They do ban IPs when they detect abuse, but it is powered by massive infrastructure that Amazon owns, so you'd have to go really crazy :D

Last edited:

ejvdh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Country flag
    Thanks for that. But this is not about an update from the imdb.com website, this is about downloading the latest imdb+ scraper from github (or somewhere else), which doesn't seem to happen. Where is the scraper file stored and is there a way to manually download the latest version and overwrite the old one?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Country flag
    Thanks for that. But this is not about an update from the imdb.com website, this is about downloading the latest imdb+ scraper from github (or somewhere else), which doesn't seem to happen. Where is the scraper file stored and is there a way to manually download the latest version and overwrite the old one?
    You've run into a rare situation where Moving-Pictures gets confused and picks an old 'scraper_script' table entry than the latest one added.
    Never been able to figure out what causes it, because it happens very random, but the solution is easy (just irritating).
    You need to open the DB3 database file with your preferred SQLite editor (I use SQLite Express Personal edition), and then switch to the scraper script table, and locate the latest v4.10.10 entry (which you can verify at: Commits · RoChess/IMDbPlus) and then copy the content to your clipboard.
    Then locate the misbehaving v4.10.7 entry, and overwrite it by pasting your clipboard content.

ejvdh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 26, 2010
    Home Country
    Country flag
    Thanks! Never edited this database before, but I managed to do it. Any reason why all the old scripts remain in the database, instead of overwriting them with the latest version?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Country flag
    Historical reasons, so that if you update to a new version and it fails, you can go back to old one. As to why it keeps more than just the "previous" one, that I don't know. Probably made sense when it was designed (y)

Users who are viewing this thread