IMDb+ Plugin 2.1.0.291 with IMDb+ Scraper v4.9.xxx (7 Viewers)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @emphatic had a few minutes to look at it, and although my Swedish language knowledge is non-existent I was able to click on a few things and there does not appear to be any way for me to search for 'tt0499549' and be told that this is "Avatar (2009)". This was the important aspect that worked in the past by feeding it into a different website with database access as per: http://www.nyheter24.se/filmtipset/imdb/tt0499549 but that still redirects to some generic movie info page, so they appear to have killed off that service.

If I go to the FilmTipSet page for Avatar then they do have the IMDb info available as per:

So, they clearly have the data in their database, but I need a way to gain direct access to that, and nyheter24.se no longer offers this.

Fuzzy match would have been possible by relying on Google to narrow search results down to "tt0499549" on site:filmtipset.se, but the developers of FilmTipSet decided to add rel="nofollow noindex" to each link back-to IMDb which tells Google to kill off any indexing, so that ruins that idea.

An alternative would be to create a whole separate website with a database that constantly scrapes every FilmTipSet movie and creates a connection between the IMDb tt-ID and the FilmTipSet identifier "avatar-2009-2" in the case of tt0499549, but that is not exactly sustainable.

What makes more sense then is to create a new (or update existing) Moving-Pictures scraper that can access the FilmTipSet search system to allow for a scraper-script search-node, but then obviously you'll loose all the other benefits that IMDb+ offers.

Or you, with understanding of the Swedish language, need to contact FilmTipSet, to ask them what can be done. Either they provide API access where a search for the IMDb "tt0499549" identifier leads to their "avatar-2009-2" identifier, or they figure out a way to give me a database dump (or Excel file) with those two pieces of info linked. Of course in the latter case there would be the problem of how to handle 'new' movies, but it's at least something then.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    @smarty12345 IMDb removed the short UK:12A info of certification from the main details pages, and decided to use "United Kingdom" on the parental-guide page.

Updated the regular expression to look for "United Kingdom", so that should work again.

v4.9.92 released.

smarty12345

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2011
    United Kingdom
    Home Country
    Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
    Lovely. Thanks. Ill give this a try when I can and let you know..

Edit : Just tried that and it worked perfectly. Thanks very much. :)

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    @emphaticOr you, with understanding of the Swedish language, need to contact FilmTipSet, to ask them what can be done. Either they provide API access where a search for the IMDb "tt0499549" identifier leads to their "avatar-2009-2" identifier, or they figure out a way to give me a database dump (or Excel file) with those two pieces of info linked. Of course in the latter case there would be the problem of how to handle 'new' movies, but it's at least something then.

I asked them if they could add IMDB-id to their search engine, so that entering tt0499549 into it would take you straight to Avatar (2009). I hope this is what you meant/wanted.

Emph

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    I asked them if they could add IMDB-id to their search engine, so that entering tt0499549 into it would take you straight to Avatar (2009). I hope this is what you meant/wanted.

Yes.

IMDb+ relies on IMDb.com to process the search-node of the scraper-script (the part that either finds the movie, or asks you during import "is this the movie?")... that means FilmTipSet.se info gets handled by IMDb+ in the details-node of the scraper-script, aka the part that obtains the movie info and there is no way for me to ask inside Moving-Pictures again "would this be the same movie at FilmTipSet?".

That means I have to be absolutely sure that I can run a FilmTipSet search for "tt049959" and either get the "Avatar (2009)" result, or be told "we don't know that movie (yet)" so I can then compliment it with IMDb.com info or skip the movie based on IMDb+ plugin settings.

If they can expand their search system to allow me to search on IMDb tt-IDs then we would be back in business :whistle:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Is it possible to use this information to add back Filmtipset to IMDB+?
    Filmtipset.se - Swedish grabber

The reason that works is because FilmtipSet scraper relies on the FilmtipSet website during the search-node, so it has all that information available during the details-node.

IMDb+ relies on IMDb.com website during the search-node, so it is NOT possible to use any of that, unless FilmtipSet website exposes a way to do a search on their system providing nothing but the IMDb tt-ID. You have to realize on the FilmtipSet details page for a movie they show the tt-ID, so the FilmtipSet scraper can obtain it during its details-node processing, which is what that fix was for, but that is not possible for IMDb+ scraper.

There would be three solutions:
    1. Find a way for FilmtipSet to bring back the capabilities that 'nyheter24.se' provided by offering an IMDb tt-ID search to get FilmtipSet movie-ID, but they seem hesitant to do that, even though they have all the data and it would not take them long to fix this. IMDb tt-IDs are very strict in format, especially if you force the "tt" prefix to remain during searching, and then they just have to adjust SQL query for it and print out results. Would even take the slowest developer on their end about an hour to add.
    2. Create a proxy site that scrapes all of FilmtipSet to create an IMDb tt-ID to FilmTip movie-ID database, and then allow itself to be queries (if I ever find free time, which clearly isn't going to be soon, then I will humor this request, but think more towards summer 2020)
    3. Modify IMDb+ to rely on FilmtipSet during search-node and thereby breaking main purpose of it (don't have time or interest for this, but you are free to find somebody else willing as it is all open-source)

On short notice, you can switch to FilmTipSet scraper, convince them to work on #1, find somebody to do #3, or be patient for #2.

If you can talk 'vuego' into modifying his FilmTipSet scraper, then there is one hacky solution and that is to scan your entire collection in with FilmTipSet scraper, and if it stored the IMDb tt-ID into the designated Moving-Pictures database field, then you can use the IMDb+ plugin to forcefully take scraper-script ownership and apply all the benefits of IMDb+ to each of your movies. You can configure it to ignore updating title+summary, except when you want to rely on the IMDb+ title rename for series (or custom entries). Just that this is a lot of manual adjusting then, especially for each new movie, but it could potentially work.

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    The new owners of Filmtipset never responds to my suggestions, so I have given up on point 1. I don't have time either. For now I manually copy/paste the info from Filmtipset manually for my movies. I don't add that many.

Emph

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    The new owners of Filmtipset never responds to my suggestions, so I have given up on point 1. I don't have time either. For now I manually copy/paste the info from Filmtipset manually for my movies. I don't add that many.

Still in process of moving crap out of old location and doing construction at new location while living there, but once time frees up I do plan on totally rewriting the IMDb+ Scraper script on a new approach I've been considering for a while which might open ways to integrate other search nodes as an option. Then I could potentially just copy vuego's search-node, or give him commit access to IMDb+. But been wanting to do this for years now and never find the time, so it's on the to-do list without any ETA promises.

Did forget to mention a 4th option as well you could do, and that is to buy family gift this Christmas of Rosetta Stone English edition :ROFLMAO:

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Noticed USA/MPAA rating missing on a few G-rated movies, such as Toy Story 4, and seems IMDb.com once again changed syntax. Added three new methods, so that should hopefully keep it functional for a while in case they make more changes.

Enjoy v4.9.94

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom