IMDb+ plugin second edition (1 Viewer)

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: IMDb+ Scraper - Movie Scraping on Steroids v3.3.1

Little bug in MpeMaker, for some reason it does not update every field when you generate the ./update.xml file, so the new v1.0.0.99 plugin kept referencing the old v0.1.0.25 MPE1 package.

All fixed now, and reason I found out was because the IMDb+ plugin has been approved :D

So you can now simply open up your "MediaPortal Extension Installer", and find the plugin under "Known Extensions" as "IMDb+". If you had already installed the previous MPEI package, you can simply update it as well under the "Installed Extensions" tab.

If however you have the "Get update info on startup" option disabled, then click on the "Options" tab and use the "Download online update info" to manually obtain the updated XML files first, and then everything should show.

:D

kneckler

October 11, 2011

Nice work! I really love this scraper.

I had one issue when upgrading to 3.3.1 though, as the renaming wouldn't kick in. The log kept saying "No XML file found for options, default values are used".
    I finally tracked the problem down to the order of the options inside the "Options IMDb+ Scraper.xml" file. For some unknown reason the options were not ordered according to the id, and causing your regexp to crash. (I've never tampered with this file before, so maybe it happened after I edited options inside MP?) After manually reordering the options the scraper seems to work great again ;)

Also, another western movie that is not using the "correct" title: Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod (1968) - IMDb
    I would expect it to come up as "Once Upon a Time in the West", but it appears as "C'era una volta il West"

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Nice work! I really love this scraper.

I had one issue when upgrading to 3.3.1 though, as the renaming wouldn't kick in. The log kept saying "No XML file found for options, default values are used".
    I finally tracked the problem down to the order of the options inside the "Options IMDb+ Scraper.xml" file. For some unknown reason the options were not ordered according to the id, and causing your regexp to crash. (I've never tampered with this file before, so maybe it happened after I edited options inside MP?) After manually reordering the options the scraper seems to work great again ;)

Good thing I added the extra logging so it was easy to spot, and indeed I've made a logic mistake trying to retain existing plugin settings, but people on the v3.2.5 and lower scraper need to delete their options.xml file before installing the plugin. It's always hard to catch every scenario beforehand.

So I'll add install instructions to delete the options XML file when an old version of the scraper script was manually installed in the past. A new compatible options XML file is automatically created by the plugin, and adjusting options to be the same as you prefer can be done fast now via plugin.

Also, another western movie that is not using the "correct" title: Spiel mir das Lied vom Tod (1968) - IMDb
    I would expect it to come up as "Once Upon a Time in the West", but it appears as "C'era una volta il West"

That is one of those sneaky ones. It shows country of release as Italy+USA, and spoken-language as English. My scraper then sees USA+English and accepts the original title as-is because it then believes that to be a real English title.

The current system to try to decide what an English title is (without Artificial Intelligence) is extremly complex, so it will take me a little bit to figure out what I can do to make this movie work correctly. But what you can do is add the following entry to your custom rename XML file:

<rename id="tt0064116" title="Once Upon a Time in the West" />

This way it will be 'corrected', but I'll look into a better solution later.

Merlyn

Portal Pro
    July 8, 2011
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: IMDb+ Scraper - Movie Scraping on Steroids v3.3.1

That is one of those sneaky ones. It shows country of release as Italy+USA, and spoken-language as English. My scraper then sees USA+English and accepts the original title as-is because it then believes that to be a real English title.

The current system to try to decide what an English title is (without Artificial Intelligence) is extremly complex, so it will take me a little bit to figure out what I can do to make this movie work correctly. But what you can do is add the following entry to your custom rename XML file:

<rename id="tt0064116" title="Once Upon a Time in the West" />

This way it will be 'corrected', but I'll look into a better solution later.

If nothing else helps you could parse the aka titles and check if 'USA' or 'English title' is listed and use that then or compare that to the original title.

ltfearme

Community Plugin Dev
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Home Country
    Australia Australia

Updated StreamedMP skin file for v1.0.0.99:

Attachments

• IMDb+.xml
      10.4 KB

jasonwc

Portal Pro
    July 4, 2009
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America

RoChess,

I just wanted to thank you for your work on the plugin/scraper as well as for your excellent documentation. It's now much easier to force IMDB+ as the scraper for currently existing movies and the auto-update function should make things a lot easier. The install guide is clear and comprehensive. Often developers focus on adding features/fixing bugs without appreciating the importance of good documentation to the user experience. So, thanks for doing both. :D

bighick

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country

It doesn't work for me :(. Mepo 1.2.1 // Moving pic 1.2.3 // IMDB+ 1.0.0.99 // default blue skin.
    This is a fresh install of media portal, new databases and everything. I can see imdb+ in the plugin section but not while looking at a movie in moving-pictures.
    And I never got that popup when i started MePo for the first time.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

RoChess,

I just wanted to thank you for your work on the plugin/scraper as well as for your excellent documentation. It's now much easier to force IMDB+ as the scraper for currently existing movies and the auto-update function should make things a lot easier. The install guide is clear and comprehensive. Often developers focus on adding features/fixing bugs without appreciating the importance of good documentation to the user experience. So, thanks for doing both. :D

:D Expect more changes soon, due to some awesome help from other developers, features are getting added very fast. I'm currently testing a new button in the left-sided hidden menu that will allow you to refresh all your movies as well, so that a manual visit to MovingPictures config can be skipped. Aside from an update-all-movies, there will also be an update-only-rename database one. This is so that you can correct any series grouping from the default rename database (or modifications to your custom one) much faster then having to refresh your entire collection each time.

I still need to add a lot more documentation as well, to cover a few more usage-case scenarios, but it is very time consuming, so it is indeed on the back burner.

It doesn't work for me :(. Mepo 1.2.1 // Moving pic 1.2.3 // IMDB+ 1.0.0.99 // default blue skin.
    This is a fresh install of media portal, new databases and everything. I can see imdb+ in the plugin section but not while looking at a movie in moving-pictures.
    And I never got that popup when i started MePo for the first time.

:sorry: I knew it was a matter of time before real bugs would appear :oops:

I've run about 50 tests myself before releasing v1.0.0.99, such as updating existing, installing new, updating with imdb+themoviedb collection, updating with just imdb.com collection, updating existing imdb+ collection, and countless variations. Still doesn't matter how many tests I ran I did end up forgetting some, such as the usage case of an older "C:\Options IMDb+ Scraper.xml" file that can cause problems (which is temporarly solved now with the alert that you need to delete that file before you install the plugin, still that doesn't stop the scraper from functioning, just means you can not adjust the options).

So looks like there is something else that could go wrong, but in order to fix it, will need a little bit more information, so can you gather the log files fromwhen you tried and failed (incase it goes correct the next time). Switch MediaPortal into debug mode, and then retry by re-installing the MPEI package? This will first uninstall it and then install again, and this might just work immediatly (as it did for me in all my tests). But if it does fail, then just give me a ZIP file from those debug logs (and I will be needing all of them). If it for some reason does work, then please provide me both ZIP files from when it failed before and when it worked this time.

bighick

Portal Pro
    July 6, 2009
    Home Country

http://www.filedropper.com/log_5
    Hopefully that works
    I turned on debug (i think), opened extension installer, uninstalled imdb+, installed imdb+ opened MePo.
    No popup, found it in plugins, went into moving-pictures and found no imdb options.

I went into the moving-pictures config and found IMDB+ in the scrapers but it was the 2nd option, so I left it at manual and chose imdb+ as the first...works for me like that (just hope it still auto updates)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom