IMDB Ratings - # of Stars displayed is incorrect (2 Viewers)

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Just my opinion of course, but why alter a system which most of us have been using for years (Espcially seeing as the rating comes from IMDB.). I for one would like to see exactly how I see it on IMDB because that is what I am used to and understand. When I see 7 starts its usually a good film, if its out of five whole starts where does that leave me?

Cheers,
    Rich

fforde

Community Plugin Dev
    June 7, 2007
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just my opinion of course, but why alter a system which most of us have been using for years (Espcially seeing as the rating comes from IMDB.). I for one would like to see exactly how I see it on IMDB because that is what I am used to and understand. When I see 7 starts its usually a good film, if its out of five whole starts where does that leave me?

Cheers,
    Rich

I'm not talking about changing anything, how the rating is displayed is totally up to the skinner. I am just saying, not as a developer, but as a fellow movie goer, that I think a 10 star system is difficult to read at a quick glance. I very commonly find myself counting the number of stars. I just like the idea of a 5 star system because you don't have to think about it, you can get a feel for the rating at a very quick glance, and then if I want more qualification the full 0.0-10.0 rating would be displayed in the movie details.

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country

Cheers,
    Rich

I'm not talking about changing anything, how the rating is displayed is totally up to the skinner. I am just saying, not as a developer, but as a fellow movie goer, that I think a 10 star system is difficult to read at a quick glance. I very commonly find myself counting the number of stars. I just like the idea of a 5 star system because you don't have to think about it, you can get a feel for the rating at a very quick glance, and then if I want more qualification the full 0.0-10.0 rating would be displayed in the movie details.

Sorry for the missunderstanding. I know what you mean, it does take a second to figure out the rating so it might be nice feature. When you swith back to decimals I think it will be a lot easier also.
    Rich

Tyler_Durden

Portal Member
    May 2, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    ... but as a fellow movie goer, that I think a 10 star system is difficult to read at a quick glance. I very commonly find myself counting the number of stars.

You're right. Why not using the stars + number - system similar to imdb?
    like this:
    attachment.php

Attachments

• rating.png
      rating.png
      5.8 KB

richy759

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 16, 2007
    Home Country
    ... but as a fellow movie goer, that I think a 10 star system is difficult to read at a quick glance. I very commonly find myself counting the number of stars.

You're right. Why not using the stars + number - system similar to imdb?
    like this:
    attachment.php

yeah I like that.
    I get the impression thats the idea if you look at this issue.

Issue 285 - moving-pictures - Allow movie ratings to use decimals - Google Code

I got confused and thought fforde was on about changing this to a rating out of 5.
    Rich

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom