IMDb Scraper with RottenTomatoes rating (check end of thread for final versions) (1 Viewer)

Surferosa

Portal Pro
September 2, 2009
Home Country
England England
Re: IMDb Scraper with RottenTomatoes rating

I'll try to release the updated RottenTomatoes scrapers soon, and aside from fixing the TomatoMeter 100% problem and a few other bugs, will also include the improvements I made to the main IMDb scraper.

@Surfosa, yes, you can erase all the existing scores via SQL.

Code:
UPDATE movie_info SET score = NULL;

Cheers RoChess. I'll give this a punt.

Thx.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006
    Re: IMDb Scraper with RottenTomatoes rating v1.4.4

Released multiple v1.4.4 combinations, to coincide with the changes I've made to the IMDb scraper.

Later this week I should have more combinations done, that include the RT reviews and perhaps more.

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England

Thanks for the great work, I'm loving the Tomatometer ratings, much more accurate (imho).

Any chance you could add a variation with UK certfication as added to the standard imdb scraper here?

:D

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Thanks for the great work, I'm loving the Tomatometer ratings, much more accurate (imho).

Any chance you could add a variation with UK certfication as added to the standard imdb scraper here?

I've added it to the UK thread.

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

Ok, I'll be updating this scraper soon, to match the v1.4.7 scraper changes that the IMDb scraper contains.

But I'll be making a new enhanced version as well, that will have the summary part in MovingPictures show the following information (was starting to get sick from the spoilers that some summaries contained and could use more information to decide what a good movie is from a large collection of unwatched ones):

--------------------------------------------------
    (IMDb Short Summary)

(RottenTomatoes Consensus)

(TomatoMeter details)

FRESH: RT Fresh Critic review #1
    FRESH: RT Fresh Critic review #2
    FRESH: RT Fresh Critic review #3

ROTTEN: RT Rotten Critic review #1
    ROTTEN: RT Rotten Critic review #2
    ROTTEN: RT Rotten Critic review #3

Only reviews from official critics will be used (the ones that have a profile picture), so a full example using Avatar (2009) would look like:

A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.

Consensus: It might be more impressive on a technical level than as a piece of storytelling, but Avatar reaffirms James Cameron's singular gift for imaginative, absorbing filmmaking.

A total of 252 reviews (207 Fresh and 45 Rotten) as of 02/13/10

FRESH #1: The year's most ambitious film is so breathtaking, it detracts you from the fact that Cameron's characters are caricatures, and too much of the dialogue is stock. The good news? None of it matters.
    FRESH #2: Ambitious but not overreaching, Avatar is a stunning piece of blue heaven.
    FRESH #3: Entertaining enough and stunning to look at but essentially an exceedingly detailed three hour video game -- without the benefit of remote controls

ROTTEN #1: ...a big, dumb movie built to make money but hardly worthy of serious examination. Avatar isn't only critic-proof, it resists serious criticism. You might as well analyze a beach ball.
    ROTTEN #2: But everything about the story, the setting, the dialog, and the parts that aren't purely visual is awful.

(In this example only 2 Rotten views exist on the RT page if it was to be scraped at this exact moment, but considering the 82% rating, that wouldn't be much of a problem for me, but please share your views if you think differently)

Note: The date 02/13/10 would be taken from the last review that was added that affects the scoring.

Keep in mind that it will be an almost impossible task to implement custom "My Critics" scoring, so I'm not going to bother with that, incase you plan on asking :D

But there is a lot more information available, such as for example "Theatrical Release: Dec 18, 2009" and "Box Office: $629,344,204" in our Avatar example: Avatar Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

I could easaly add this information as well into the summary, and I will probably do so for the version that I will personally use, but I want to make a general version available on the forum, so please give me some feedback on what you guys would like to see for this enhanced version.

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England

Ok, I'll be updating this scraper soon, to match the v1.4.7 scraper changes that the IMDb scraper contains.

But I'll be making a new enhanced version as well, that will have the summary part in MovingPictures show the following information (was starting to get sick from the spoilers that some summaries contained and could use more information to decide what a good movie is from a large collection of unwatched ones):

(IMDb Short Summary)

(RottenTomatoes Consensus)

(TomatoMeter details)

FRESH: RT Fresh Critic review #1
    FRESH: RT Fresh Critic review #2
    FRESH: RT Fresh Critic review #3

ROTTEN: RT Rotten Critic review #1
    ROTTEN: RT Rotten Critic review #2
    ROTTEN: RT Rotten Critic review #3

Only reviews from official critics will be used (the ones that have a profile picture), so a full example using Avatar (2009) would look like:

A paraplegic marine dispatched to the moon Pandora on a unique mission becomes torn between following his orders and protecting the world he feels is his home.

Consensus: It might be more impressive on a technical level than as a piece of storytelling, but Avatar reaffirms James Cameron's singular gift for imaginative, absorbing filmmaking.

A total of 252 reviews (207 Fresh and 45 Rotten) as of 02/13/10

FRESH #1: The year's most ambitious film is so breathtaking, it detracts you from the fact that Cameron's characters are caricatures, and too much of the dialogue is stock. The good news? None of it matters.
    FRESH #2: Ambitious but not overreaching, Avatar is a stunning piece of blue heaven.
    FRESH #3: Entertaining enough and stunning to look at but essentially an exceedingly detailed three hour video game -- without the benefit of remote controls

ROTTEN #1: ...a big, dumb movie built to make money but hardly worthy of serious examination. Avatar isn't only critic-proof, it resists serious criticism. You might as well analyze a beach ball.
    ROTTEN #2: But everything about the story, the setting, the dialog, and the parts that aren't purely visual is awful.

(In this example only 2 Rotten views exist on the RT page if it was to be scraped at this exact moment, but considering the 82% rating, that wouldn't be much of a problem for me, but please share your views if you think differently)

Note: The date 02/13/10 would be taken from the last review that was added that affects the scoring.

Keep in mind that it will be an almost impossible task to implement custom "My Critics" scoring, so I'm not going to bother with that, incase you plan on asking :D

But there is a lot more information available, such as for example "Theatrical Release: Dec 18, 2009" and "Box Office: $629,344,204" in our Avatar example: Avatar Movie Reviews, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes

I could easaly add this information as well into the summary, and I will probably do so for the version that I will personally use, but I want to make a general version available on the forum, so please give me some feedback on what you guys would like to see for this enhanced version.

Wow! Nice thinking RoChess.

Personally I will only be using the TomatoMeter scoring. However, choice is always a good thing and I'm sure many others would like something like this.

Thanks for your continued work!

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

So does this show both the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes score on the UI? Or does one have to choose which score to use from MovingPictures configuration?

RoChess

Extension Developer
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 10, 2006

So does this show both the IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes score on the UI? Or does one have to choose which score to use from MovingPictures configuration?

You have to go with one or the other, there is no support in MovingPictures for multiple-ratings... However I could take it into consideration for the 'Summary' enhancement I got planned, as in it won't be a pretty star score, but a textual line in the summary section (as per example above), that shows something like:

IMDb Rating: 7.3/10

Pretty much any textual information that is shown on imdb.com or rottentomatoes.com would be available to be used, but the graphical star based rating in MovingPictures can only be set once, so you will indeed need to decide which one you want. The whole point for me with this RT scraper is that I really do not concur a lot of times with the IMDb rating to begin with, so I don't mind if it isn't shown, but if there is interest for it, I can add it to the summary field as explained.

Let me know, because I am still working on the new scraper version and will take any suggestion into consideration.

damaster

Portal Pro
    November 23, 2007
    Home Country
    Canada Canada

You have to go with one or the other, there is no support in MovingPictures for multiple-ratings... However I could take it into consideration for the 'Summary' enhancement I got planned, as in it won't be a pretty star score, but a textual line in the summary section (as per example above), that shows something like:

IMDb Rating: 7.3/10

Pretty much any textual information that is shown on imdb.com or rottentomatoes.com would be available to be used, but the graphical star based rating in MovingPictures can only be set once, so you will indeed need to decide which one you want. The whole point for me with this RT scraper is that I really do not concur a lot of times with the IMDb rating to begin with, so I don't mind if it isn't shown, but if there is interest for it, I can add it to the summary field as explained.

Let me know, because I am still working on the new scraper version and will take any suggestion into consideration.

I really like the idea of putting both the RT and IMDB scores in the summary! That would be great, thanks!

Surferosa

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2009
    Home Country
    England England

RoChess said:

Just picking this up after my holidays- what you describe would be perfect for me (but you probably knew that already :rolleyes:). Can't think of anything else I'd want (or need)- so yes please.. sounds awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom