IMDb Scraper with RottenTomatoes rating (check end of thread for final versions) (1 Viewer)

Knives03

Portal Pro
March 6, 2009
Re: IMDb Scraper with RottenTomatoes rating v1.4.4

Firstly I want to say this is a great scraper, thank you for all you've put into it. I used the IMDb (Short Summary with RT TomatoMeter Rating) v1.4.4.xml scraper and it grabbed all the short summaries fine, but it looks like none of the ratings were applied to any of the movies at all. When I go into Media Portal and look at my movies, they all have 0 stars and a 0.0/10 rating. If I select the "Update details from online" option in the context menu, it adds the star rating.

Can you think of why this might be happening? Also, would there be an easy way to update all 200+ of my movies at once so that it updates all their star ratings?

I'm using MediaPortal 1.1.0 Beta SVN-Snapshot:-02-06-2010 13-59h - Revision:24975.rar with Moving Pictures 1.0 RC2. Thanks again in advance!

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England

Hi

I scanned a couple of films last night with this scraper and the grabbing of the Tomato Score seems to have broken.

'Looking for Eric' (tt1242545) returned a score of 0 - should have been 8.9
    'The White Ribbon' (tt1149362) return a score of 7.1 - should have 8.3

I'll see if I can find the logs for the imports, maybe they will help out.

Surferosa

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2009
    Home Country
    England England

It does indeed appear to be very broken. I've had a stab at cobbling a new one together between this and the imdb (1.5.4) version- but I cant get it to work (maybe RT have changed their is naming in source- I certainly couldn't find the rotten_rating field it was parsing: which used up all my limited xml knowledge).

I'll post up in the 1.5.4 thread to see if someone would fix- had hoped that this would be incorporated as standard in the new scripts- but alas not :( Shame, becuase it was really useful to have a "better" scoring system.

mortstar

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 30, 2008
    Home Country
    England England

Here is a version of the RottenTomatoes Script that I use.

These are the differences to the normal imdb script:
    • RottenTomatoes Score
    • Short Summary
    • UK Certification
    All thanks to RoChess, I am only providing his work for others to enjoy, updated to version 1.5.5 (equivalent to imdb scraper).

Attachments

• IMDb UK+RT v1.5.5.xml
      14.5 KB

Surferosa

Portal Pro
    September 2, 2009
    Home Country
    England England

Diamond! Many thanks for doing this. I had a pop at fixing it myself- but alas the xml was beyond me.

Those settings are exectly what Id use- so perfect for me- I'll give them a whirl.

:D

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008

As per Surferosa's (great pixies album) suggestion I went ahead and edited mortstar's xml myself to make an updated US based RT scraper. I haven't fully tested it on my collection yet but I will soon. It seems to work fine. I wasn't sure what was required for the naming xml scheme so I named it 1.5.6 and adjusted the date.

Hopefully someone else will find this useful for the time being.

• RottenTomatoes Score
    • Short Summary
    • US Certification

Attachments

• IMDb US+RT v1.5.6.xml
      14.9 KB

pirivan

Portal Pro
    January 19, 2008

Hi drealit,

Thanks for the post; I have been trying to get RT ratings working with Moving Pictures in MediaPortal for a long time! I can't describe how much I tend to disagree with the lame ratings on IMDB. Unfortunately, I tested out the scraper you posted and it still seems to be pulling ratings from IMDB for me, even though I have the script you posted as the top choice on my movie details list. Have you been able to get it to work after your testing? I have been using the "Aviator" as my test case (7.6 on IMDB, 88% on RT) and I just can't seem to get it to pull the RT rating.

EDIT:

I was able to "fix" The Aviator by completely disabling the built in IMDB script. I updated the rest of my collection and so far most appear to now be pulling ratings from RT; woo hoo! Unfortunately it looks like some didn't update and it is frustrating manually checking RT for each rating to see if it's valid. "Refreshing" these problem movies again seems to usually resolve the issue.

drealit

Portal Pro
    March 15, 2008

Yep I updated my entire collection that night and don't seem to being having any issues. I did random samplings throughout the collection. However I have over 700 movies in my database so I haven't been able to truly take the time to sit down an analyze if everything updated... maybe over the weekend.

superted125

Portal Member
    September 16, 2009
    Home Country

to refresh the score do you have to send the movie to the importer again? or is there a quicker way?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom