iMon VFD + Windows 8.1 (1 Viewer)

hceuterpe

June 18, 2014
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
Anyone still running iMon VFD (with the PAD remote) specifically with Windows 8.1? I am weighing my options moving from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1. The support from Soundgraph for iMon is fine with 7, but it seems driver development has ceased for the version I have, and it's reported that there are known problems using strictly their software with 8.1 on their forums. Have been using MCE with 7, but with newer versions of Windows, it seems that MCE is simply hanging on, so I want to give Mediaportal a try. I have a Silverstone LC16M with one of those integrated Soundgraph iMon VFD OEM displays. It registers as type C I think, device ID 15c2:ffdc if that helps.

I have read plenty about the MiniDisplayPlugin, but I can't seem to confirm for sure if the experiences come from 7 or 8/8.1.

mbuzina

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 11, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I have an inbuild LCD from them along with the PAD Remote (and an MCE in addition to that, but that is another story). It works for me on 8.1

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Works. USB detection of display/IR receiver is sometimes slow after resume. But that's it.

hceuterpe

June 18, 2014
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    What are all the complaints about it then in the Soundgraph forums? Is it that the vendor provided UI (iMon Manager) itself doesn't work properly displaying messages to the VFD from various apps such as WMC in Windows 8.1? Am I understanding that Mediaportal got around this by using their API instead of trying to integrate with the vendor's Manager app?

Since, WMC was stripped out of 8/8.1 added as a paid "add-on", with absolutely no new features, or even UI changes, MP is looking more compelling than ever, and ditching WMC. :)

blub

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 1, 2013
    Giessen
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The software is crappy for win 8.1 and the support - if there is any . is worse.
    However for MP you only need to map the keys in iMon and that works - at least for me flawless.
    The Display uses an MP API and works too, and after the last re-write very well.

I cannot comment on any other iMon use with Win 8.1 beacuse I am not using it in any other way - thankfully.

Mew

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2007
    Hertfordshire
    Home Country
    England England
    I am using a Silverstone LC10M that has a iMon VFD, and it works fine for me with Windows 8.1, update 1, and MediaPortal 1.8.0 Pre-Release. I would also agree after the recent re-write this works better, as I no longer have to manually copy files in to the MediaPortal folder to make it work. I can't comment about the remote as I have always used a Hauppauge Windows MCE compatible one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom