Implemented Non-Linear (Smart) Stretching of 4:3->16:9 (3 Viewers)

ol263

Portal Member
March 28, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi,

I have implemented a new aspect ratio: "Smart 4:3->16:9" for displaying 4:3 material fullscreen on a 16:9 display.
It performs slight cropping of the top and bottom, and then stretches the video non-linearly (Center area barely stretched, while sides are stretched more). Like most LCD's/PLASMAS and MCE do.
More info can be found in this thread here.
The values currently being used are identical (Or at least should be) to the numbers posted by 'mystic2k' in post #8 of that thread.

I am currently attaching the patch/binaries here (And not yet posting to the sourceforge patch section) for the following reasons:
- I want to make sure there is enough interest in this before asking for it to be patched in to the main development stream (I also understood new features are currently frozen)
- So that it can be tested (Making sure no other application parts have been broken)

To install/use it:

- If you are building MP, apply the patch.diff from 'patch.zip' attached here and rebuild.

If you are not building:
I attached binaries you can apply to the 0.2.3.0 final release: Just Extract '0.2.3.0_final_binaries_v2.zip' to your MediaPortal directory, overwriting previous files (Back them up first in case you want to go back).

This Zoom Mode now overlaps with what was previously "Pan&Scan". (It should appear as "Smart" in the aspect ratio selection when watching a movie/tv)
If you select "Smart", then if your viewing window is detected as 4:3 (Or near 4:3) the old Pan&Scan is used. If it is detected near 16:9 then this new mode is used.

From my testing it is working with the TVserver plugin (multiseat), in My videos, and using the old (built in) tv engine.

Please post any issues you may have.

*IMPORTANT*
If you used the previous version of the binaries, you need to rollback to the original official 0.2.3.0 files, either by copying them back if you saved them, or re-installing 0.2.3.0 final. Otherwise you will have leftover garbage from the previous version.
You also no longer need to overwrite the official TVplugin if using TVserver, just install the TVplugin as normal from the TVserver SVN.

*IMPORTANT 2*
If you are using a language other than english, the Aspect Ratio may still appear as "Pan&Scan" in the Aspect Ratio when watching movies.
It will still do smart stretching when in 16:9, functionality isn't effected.
If you want to change the text, then simply edit string 946 in file 'language/strings_xx.xml', where 'xx' is your language, calling it what you like.

iosub

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
San Sebastian
I would like to test it, but I'm using latest SVN.. 16387....can you give us the patch with the diff, so we can include on our svn build?

is this like mode 4 on mce??

Great idea...

Iosu

ol263

Portal Member
March 28, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
The patch.zip file contains the diff from the SVN code (I think it's code from 2 days ago), as well as files that were updated. Is that what you meant? (Sorry this is my first patch).

Yes this is pretty much like mode 4 in MCE.

iosub

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
San Sebastian
Hi

I will need something like
Line

20- if(....)
20+ return (if(----))

so I now that I have just to replace that line, and not the all .cs

SVN tools do that, compare the online .cs with yours and make the diff file

Hope this helps
Iosu

ol263

Portal Member
March 28, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
Hi

I will need something like
Line

20- if(....)
20+ return (if(----))

so I now that I have just to replace that line, and not the all .cs

SVN tools do that, compare the online .cs with yours and make the diff file

Hope this helps
Iosu

Isn't that the "nls.patch" file i put in patch.zip? I created it with TortoiseSVN by performing "Create Patch" operation.

moti_r

Portal Member
April 3, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
VERY GOOD AND WELL ANTICIPATED FEATURE!

I cannot test it now, but am writing it down and promise to test ASAP.

Thank you for that!!

ol263

Portal Member
March 28, 2007
Home Country
Israel Israel
I've updated the files. The Aspect Ratio is now available in the configuration and can be enabled/disabled/set to default for each section (DVD/Movies/TV).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom