Importing not even trying to import many films (1 Viewer)

DHosein

Portal Member
January 2, 2016
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
Guys, I could really use some suggestions on this one.

I've a large film collection that I've recently transferred over to a new NAS device to I won't be quite so much at risk of losing everything. I've managed to map the new device just fine and copied everything over. Set Moving Pictures to watch the new location instead of the old, ran through an import... and everything seemed to go through just fine.
However.. as I'm going through the imported list, I spotted a number of missing titles. Files are in place... but the importer just didn't pick them up. It's not just one or two either. It's about 33% of the total... somewhere over 2000 films. They're not in the ignored lists... that's empty. These are just... missing.

Any ideas/Suggestions? I've already tried wiping the DB, reinstalling, rescanning... but same result.

DHosein

Portal Member
January 2, 2016
Home Country
Great Britain (UK) Great Britain (UK)
No one has any ideas?

I've tried deleting the database file and reimporting, or completely reinstalling MP... and the only films on the NAS that the importer is picking up on are the handful of new movies I've added that weren't on the DB before I moved to the NAS.

So.... I'm guessing that despite being wiped.. MP is still holding a list somewhere of the movies it thinks it knows about. How can I clear this?
No one has any ideas? I'm about ready to give in on Mediaportal after 5 years or so of happy use if I can't get this to work.

CyberSimian

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2013
    Southampton
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    No one has any ideas?
    I have no experience of the "Moving Pictures" plugin (when I record a movie, I just use the description that is contained in the EPG). However, if MP can see the new files but not the old ones, possibly it is a permissions issue?

Since I have started using Windows 10 on my laptop (only at the start of 2022!), I have had several cases where for whatever reason, one or more files became inaccessible due to permissions. Fortunately, there is a panel in Windows that allows you to reset the permissions, and give everyone access.

In your case, it may be the permissions on the NAS that is causing the problem, i.e. Linux permissions rather than Windows permissions. If the old files have permissions that indicate that they belong to some other program, Linux may prevent MP (or is that "Moving Pictures"?) being able to see the files.

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    7I've tried deleting the database file and reimporting, or completely reinstalling MP... and the only films on the NAS that the importer is picking up on are the handful of new movies I've added that weren't on the DB before I moved to the NAS.
    So.... I'm guessing that despite being wiped.. MP is still holding a list somewhere of the movies it thinks it knows about. How can I clear this?

When you deleted the db and re-installed MP did you also delete the TeamMediaPortal folder in C:/Program Data? If not please note it contains a subfolder "database" and under there is a further subfolder named Moving Pictures Backup (see attached screenshot) which contains a Movingpictures.db. Not sure if you can safely just remove that backup folder (it maybe worth a try) but if you want to do an almost clean re-install, first do a full uninstall of MP1 and delete the Program Data/Team MeadiaPortal folder which will clear all settings etc in preparation for a new install. To do a really clean install it would be necessary to also uninstall MySQL and delete all its left over folders but I suspect you do not need to go that far.

mp-1.jpg

Last edited:

emphatic

Design Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 25, 2006
    Alingsås
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Also clear your "log" folder before running the import. In the backend importer (from the Configuration/Plugins/MovingPictures), there's a setting for ignored files you can try to disable. I'm using Mediaportal right now, so can't check exactly how it's worded.

Emph

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom