Improve performance (1 Viewer)

matejdro

Portal Pro
May 28, 2010
Home Country
Slovenia Slovenia
Is there any way to improve performance?

I have around 130 movies in my DB and when i open Moving Pictures or perform SMS filtering, it takes couple of seconds to display results. Also when scrolling around via movie database, it freezes for a second sometimes. Whole interface is actually freezing a lot, which makes scrolling painful.

Can you implement a feature like DDS fanart in XBMC that uses GPU to render all images?

sclaws

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2009
    Chicago western suburbs
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Just adding my info to your request. I didn't have browsing issues with MP 1.0.8 (500 movies using Filmstrip mode) until updating Mediaportal to 1.1.1.0 from 1.1.0.0. Now while browsing quickly I get a 1 second hesitation after every 2-3 pages...consistent and frustrating :(

How can I provide more helpful info to troubleshoot this?
    :D

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Improve performance

matejdro
    Do you also have this always when entering the main window where the movies are listed? f.e. when you go back from detail movie view to list? Do you have the movies and thumbs locally or on network storage / remote?

m47een

Portal Member
    December 30, 2008
    Cheadle
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hi,

Sorry to jump in the middle, I have a similar problem I get a lag/delay initially when clicking movies from the main menu and then when scrolling through movies there is also a delay.. also when loading backdrops. I believe my thumbs and backdrops are stored locally, my movies however are on my home server.

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I've the same problem where my movies are on my home server. It seems to me it could be something like MovingPictures is always rereading all movie files or something like that.

matejdro

Portal Pro
    May 28, 2010
    Home Country
    Slovenia Slovenia
    Do you also have this always when entering the main window where the movies are listed? f.e. when you go back from detail movie view to list? Do you have the movies and thumbs locally or on network storage / remote?

Slowness is happening always. Movies are stored on network drive. For thumbs i don't know, i haven't changed any settings here. But i suppose they are stored locally.

I have managed to workaround this issue by increasing backdrop delay and launching script that makes images smaller. But there are still 2 problems:

1. Now backdrop and image show is delayed and it takes around 2 seconds to change image. I know that i have added this delay to reduce freezing, but hardware is definitely capable of instant image change without freezing. (Video of XBMC on same hardware: CLICK)

2. After performing SMS filtering, mediaportal freezes for few seconds. That's OK with me and i understand that it needs time to scan big library. But problem is that there is no indication that is doing something. So you don't know if you hit the button or not. Little popup saying "Filtering..." would be nice.

P.S.: i have created suggestion about GPU accelerating on Moving Pictures tracker: Issue 902 - moving-pictures - GPU Accelerated fanart/images - Project Hosting on Google Code

disaster123

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 14, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany

I don't have any problems with with backdrops - scrolling is also fast - just loading the movie list is terrible slow for me.

Dr Tone

Portal Pro
    October 29, 2008
    Calgary, AB
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    Just adding my info to your request. I didn't have browsing issues with MP 1.0.8 (500 movies using Filmstrip mode) until updating Mediaportal to 1.1.1.0 from 1.1.0.0. Now while browsing quickly I get a 1 second hesitation after every 2-3 pages...consistent and frustrating :(

How can I provide more helpful info to troubleshoot this?
    :D

I've noticed the same thing. Browsing through movies is terribly slow again. Like it was before the string handling fix was added back in on of the 1.1 release candidates.

gibman

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 4, 2006
    Aarhus
    Home Country
    Denmark Denmark
    We've done some internal performance improvements with special focus on thumbs.

A lot of the time the code calls File.Exists(myfile) .. doing this too often will result in bad perf.
    We have created an intelligent cache for this. Amongst other things.

This will probably be part of the next release (not 1.2 alpha).

/gibman

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom