[solved] Improved MBID Search for Artist and Album (2 Viewers)

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    I make changes, add new Advanced settings in FanartHandler.xml like:
    - Additional settings for MBID search Providers. (FanartHandler.xml)
    XML:
      <section name="MBID">
        <entry name="ArtistProviders">TheAudioDB|LastFM|MusicBrainz</entry>
        <entry name="AlbumProviders">TheAudioDB|LastFM|MusicBrainz</entry>
      </section>
    - Allows you to change the priority of the search MBID by providers, as well as turn off the necessary ones (remove from the list).

If it works out, I’ll collect a test version of the plugin after a while, if not, then in the evening. :)

horned_reaper

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 7, 2011
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I make changes, add new Advanced settings in FanartHandler.xml like:
    - Additional settings for MBID search Providers. (FanartHandler.xml)
    XML:
      <section name="MBID">
        <entry name="ArtistProviders">TheAudioDB|LastFM|MusicBrainz</entry>
        <entry name="AlbumProviders">TheAudioDB|LastFM|MusicBrainz</entry>
      </section>
    - Allows you to change the priority of the search MBID by providers, as well as turn off the necessary ones (remove from the list).

If it works out, I’ll collect a test version of the plugin after a while, if not, then in the evening. :)
    Wunderful! (y)
    Do you also plan to better destinguish artist from album MBID queries?

horned_reaper

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 7, 2011
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hmm, how? ...

I'm refering to our previous two posts:
    The difficulty is that the definition of an MBID is universal and works for both Actors and Albums, and in each case there are problems. Those. the search order for Actors can give one result, while for Albums another.

You can easily control the returned object type by the search query:
    Artist list
    http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/artist/?query=artist:"Frank Sinatra"
    Return type in the XML output: artist-list
    View attachment 205417
    Album list (release-group-list)
    http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release-group/?query=artist:"Frank Sinatra" AND release:"My Way: The Best Of Frank Sinatra"
    Return type in the XML output: release-group-list
    View attachment 205416

On the recent wrong search result the returned MBID from the album thumbnail search actually was an artist MBID.
    1588842720333.png

Explicitly searching either for artist MBIDs or for album MBIDs would make thumb searches more precise:
    Artist search: http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/artist/?query=artist:"Frank Sinatra"
    Album: http://musicbrainz.org/ws/2/release-group/?query=artist:"Frank Sinatra" AND release:"My Way: The Best Of Frank Sinatra"

Or has this already been implemented in FH? :)

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    On the recent wrong search result the returned MBID from the album thumbnail search actually was an artist MBID.
    This will greatly complicate the search and give more errors, at a single point in time I only know the Artist name, or a pair of Artist and Album. If we do another search for an Artist before searching for the Artist - Album pair, this will add more errors than good.
    We can also build the album MBID search query based on the previously returned artist MBID e. g.:
    This can be done only in the search option for the ID for the album, but do not search for the artist ID on the sites, but take it from the database. Then improvements are possible for MusicBrainz site ...

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine

horned_reaper

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 7, 2011
    Munich
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    The first request may return a wrong ID, and the second question will return the correct ID, but because we received the wrong ID in the first stage, we will reject the second one. This is a bad option.
    Yes, this dependency makes sense. If an artist is not registered in the MB DB then also no albums from him can exist in the MB DB since an artist MBID is required to register new albums in MB DB. Therefore, if an artist record doesn't exist then in the MB DB it doesn't make senso to search for albums.
    But almost all artists are registered in the MB DB.

If the precise search didn't return a result then we can do a less precise search at the second step.

What do you think?

ajs

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 29, 2008
    Kyiv
    Home Country
    Ukraine Ukraine
    To search the MusicBrainz site, I did the following.
    When we try search MBID for Artist - Album pair, i look to FH DB for stored Artist MBID, if MBID preset, then search by Artist MBID - Album, if not present, then search by Artist name - Album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom