Improved Weekly / Daily recording algorithm (2 Viewers)

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    I'd be happy (time permitting) to add this to the scheduler.

Great! For specific questions your direct person to ask would be Broceliande/Broce who did the conflict management / scheduling stuff.

Would be nice to see something getting real out of this (please read the threads linked by paloema for the background)!

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    I'll try to make time to follow this up :) All in all, the change should be manageable.

The only thing that would make it somewhat more work is the fact if it's OK to modify the 'Weekly' / 'Daily' algorithm, or if it would be preferable to add new 'All Weekly Episodes' and 'All Daily Episodes' recording options.

Considering that the algorithm only works if you have an EPG to begin with, it might be over the top to "overwrite" the current 'Daily' and 'Weekly' modes. Perhaps there are people that actually use these as is today, and would be very unhappy if they were changed (or as far as they would be concerned: removed).

So adding two new recording options might be the best way to go.

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    yeah - it's just a job of the translators to make the existing options a little more outstanding like "daily at this time".

"All daily episodes" would be wrong btw. Either it would be the same as "Everytime on .. same channel/everywhere" or you didn't consider e.g. an earlier season which is repeated in the morning whereas the wanted season's episode is broadcasted in the evening. A user would think "All daily episodes" does record both...

Maybe something like "daily around this time"? Hm.. need to think a little about this since we already have quite many options there...

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    "All daily episodes" would be wrong btw. Either it would be the same as "Everytime on .. same channel/everywhere" or you didn't consider e.g. an earlier season which is repeated in the morning whereas the wanted season's episode is broadcasted in the evening. A user would think "All daily episodes" does record both...

Quite right! My suggestion was not a very good one :)

Maybe something like "daily around this time"? Hm.. need to think a little about this since we already have quite many options there...

Yes, it's not obvious to find a short but clear name for this.

'Weekly Timeslot'

'Smart Weekly'

'This program weekly'

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    How about 'about'? :)

Weekly about this time...daily about this time...

And whats with a second context menu after choosing "record every day/week" or "record mo-fr [or sa/su]" with the following, new options "Record exactly at that time" and "Record about that time".

But I see rtv's point too...very much options already there. But imho for recordings more options are always good news :)

SuAlfons

Portal Pro
    June 5, 2005
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi!

This is I have been waiting for!

All I can bring into it would be a name suggestion:

"weekly / daily TIME" for the fixed time recording
    "weekly / daily PROGRAMME" or "weekly / daily EPISODE" for the smart thing

Greetings,
    Stefan aka SuAlfons

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hey guys,

I appreciate this discussion very much, as the series scheduling was and is something that made MP incompatible to the german TV system (with weekly changing start times) ;)

I wonder why you think about adding two different modes... If the series you want to record always starts at the same time every week, I think the "new" scheduler will do exactly what the "old" does now: record in exact that timeslot that the first episode was scheduled in. And if the start time varies, the new scheduler beats the old by caring about that change itself. So from my point I'd just go for one option! Or am I missing something?

Maschine

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Maschine,

I think the point was that maybe some ppl dont use any EPG-Info and with the new logic we would make it impossible for them to do any of their recordings.

But if I think about it, don't they already have to trigger a manual recording then, if no EPG-Data is there? If so, then you'd be correct.

Regards,

Paloema

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Yes, if you consider things, without an EPG one would use a manual recording anyway. One would never use the current 'Daily' or 'Weekly', or are we overlooking something?

Because in that case it would indeed be better to replace the current two options with the new smarter ones. And subsequently change the translations from 'Weekly/Daily' to 'Weekly/Daily around this time'.

Maschine

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 15, 2004
    Germany
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Paloema,

exactly, if there is no EPG data at all a manual schedule is needed anyway. And if the first episode was scheduled with EPG and just the following week(s) is/are missing EPG data the scheduler could work this way:

-search for the exact program name at the exact scheduled time
    ->it's there: record
    ->not there: continue

-search for the program name in a timeslot of +-30 minutes, calculate a weight from the program title and the difference to the original start time and select the program with the best matching
    ->found a program with at least x% matching: record
    ->else fall back to the original start time

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom