Improved Weekly / Daily recording algorithm | Page 8

Discussion in 'Improvement Suggestions' started by dvdfreak, March 13, 2007.

1. dvdfreak

dvdfreak Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +178 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Hmmmm... OK, I see.

In the TVDatabase BusinessLayer there's a GetRecordingTimes() method which returns a chronological list of all upcoming recordings. I don't know the first thing about how PowerScheduler works, but can't this be used to provide it with the correct wake-up times?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. scoop
    • Premium Supporter

scoop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi dvdfreak,

Yes, you are right - this method does provide an easy way to determine the first upcoming schedule. Unfortunately this method only works if you got guide data for all upcoming recordings. Of course there's no guarantee for that.

So, if that's the case, I think PowerScheduler should fall back to determination of next schedules without using guide data. This is exactly what I was trying to do. If you've got any suggestions they're greatly appreciated :). But from what I've found I will have to write that part another time.

Kind regards,
    Michel

4. dvdfreak

dvdfreak Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +178 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Good point! In fact, it sounds like PowerScheduler should wake up a full hour before such an "unclear" recording (if guide is not available) and then check if a "real" time is known by now. I would think it's better to wake up a bit early rather than miss a recording :)

BTW, does will never really work with "Everytime On This Channel", right?

Did I dream it that PowerScheduler had an option to wake up and get new guide information? :) Because in that case, right after updating the guide all "real" times would be available, then there'd be no need to wake up an hour early e.g.

5. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

The_Stig Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
    Big but again unfortunately: What if guide data isn't available for any reason?

6. dvdfreak

dvdfreak Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +178 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Then you could still fallback (as the recording engine does) on the calculated weekly/daily times. And if the guide *is* available again on the next wakeup, then the times will be re-adjusted again.

I think that in practice this should work fine, as you typically get/update guide information every day, and for several days in advance. So a dropout in the guide info shouldn't immediately create a problem, you have some sort of buffer there.

7. scoop
    • Premium Supporter

scoop Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Hi,

Yes, PowerScheduler for tve3 can wakeup the computer for guide updates. The "every time on this channel" and "every time on every channel" recording types of course are impossible without guide data. I think that both the "fallback to date calculation if no EPG data present" and EPG grabber wakeup options should be able to cover most of the cases. Hopefully I'll have some time this weekend to write the code for wakeup date calculations. EPG guide updates would then still make it possible to find out if the exact date/time for a recording has been adjusted.

Kind regards,
    Michel

8. dvdfreak

dvdfreak Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +178 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Sounds good!

9. MrWorf

MrWorf Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    *bump* any news on this? Am I understanding this correctly that this fix/change only makes MP adjust it's schedule +/- 30min to get the specified show? How about shows that are scheduled "Anytime on this channel" or "Anytime on any channel" ? Will it fix the problems with those aswell?

10. The_Stig
    • Premium Supporter

The_Stig Retired Team Member

Ratings:
    +426 / 5
  11. dvdfreak

dvdfreak Portal Pro

Ratings:
    +178 / 0
    Home Country:
    Belgium Belgium
    Hmmmm, yes, interesting problem. Two shows with the same name, next to each other.

So I guess the algorithm needs to be refined to, in case of doubt, pick the show that is closest to the original starting time. This can be trickier than it sounds since as I remember MediaPortal checks internally if a program needs to be recorded or not, without immediate relation to the program before or after it.

I'll have a look!

In the mean time: suggestions, remarks,.. are more than welcome.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice
  • About The Project

The vision of the MediaPortal project is to create a free open source media centre application, which supports all advanced media centre functions, and is accessible to all Windows users.

In reaching this goal we are working every day to make sure our software is one of the best.

• Support MediaPortal!

The team works very hard to make sure the community is running the best HTPC-software. We give away MediaPortal for free but hosting and software is not for us.

Care to support our work with a few bucks? We'd really appreciate it!