Improved Weekly / Daily recording algorithm (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    AFAIK broce did remove the fuzzy stuff from svn since it broke things in other places and he had no fast solution for fixing these. Maybe try to meetup with him on irc before doing any double/unnecessary work.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    AFAIK broce did remove the fuzzy stuff from svn since it broke things in other places and he had no fast solution for fixing these. Maybe try to meetup with him on irc before doing any double/unnecessary work.

I just got the latest version from SVN and the code still seemed to be in there.

Attached is a possible fix. I was able to fix it very locally and basically added the logic I described earlier: the closest program to the original schedule time is recorded, the other one isn't. All this only in case the next and/or previous program have the same title of course.

My change is untested, but I thought it best to send it in as quickly as possible because if I needed to thoroughly test this first it could be a few weeks ;) And I'm sure you (and others) will be happy to try it out.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium

I just got the latest version from SVN and the code still seemed to be in there.

Attached is a possible fix. I was able to fix it very locally and basically added the logic I described earlier: the closest program to the original schedule time is recorded, the other one isn't. All this only in case the next and/or previous program have the same title of course.

My change is untested, but I thought it best to send it in as quickly as possible because if I needed to thoroughly test this first it could be a few weeks ;) And I'm sure you (and others) will be happy to try it out.

Well, I did notice that Broce did indeed revert the fuzzy logic code while I was implementing my fix.

So I hope he can look at the fix I just uploaded and get things back working as they should :) Much better to fix "The Simpsons" problem properly than remove a feature that I think a lot of people have grown to like a lot ;)

Broceliande

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2006
    Hi dvdfreak,
    Behind this fuzzy logic aren't only solvable issues , lemme explain it in a few words , hopefully i'll be clear enough :

Let's base on your first message in there :

Like MP works out of the box is very simple: record every week from 22:00 until 23:00, whatever the program at that time.

This function was designed to do so . Daily , weekly etc schedules are intended to start at xx:xx hours , stop at yy:yy , regardless of the title .

Your changes changed the behavior of some schedules types , wich was initially designed in another way ( not telling about code design or so)
    This also changed the logic we use to splitt any type so that we can fix or improve one without thinking about all the other cases .

While i was fixing the back2back issues i really could realize how splitting any recording type is important .

We planned adding new features in scheduler a long time ago, like a 'closer' based title comparison or other usefull ones .
    Some of them will be added for sure, once other issues are solved .
    Some users wanted to test and use your code and i put it in svn .
    However, in regard of further stuff we kept aside and because of issues we wanted to kick out , i reverted those. Hopefully you won't feel frustated or offensed , the main reason wich made me choose to do so is that it changes too much things in a row on the initial behaviors we were expecting for those schedules .
    However , i won't mind at all if you keep an updated dll in there with your changes/improvements .
    This way we can satisfy the users who want to keep using it

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi dvdfreak,
    Behind this fuzzy logic aren't only solvable issues , lemme explain it in a few words , hopefully i'll be clear enough :

Let's base on your first message in there :

Like MP works out of the box is very simple: record every week from 22:00 until 23:00, whatever the program at that time.

This function was designed to do so . Daily , weekly etc schedules are intented to start at xx:xx hours , stop at yy:yy , regardless of the title .

Your changes changed the behavior of some schedules types , wich was initially designed in another way ( not telling about code design or so)
    This also changed the logic we use to splitt any type so that we can fix or improve one without thinking about all the other cases .

While i was fixing the back2back issue i really could realize how splitting any recording type is important .

We planned adding new features in scheduler a long time ago, like a 'closer' based title comparison or other usefull ones .
    Some of them will be added for sure, one other issues are solved .
    Some users wanted to test and use your code and i put it in svn .
    However, in regard of further stuff we kept aside and because of issues we wanted to kick out , i reverted those. Hopefully you won't feel frustated or offensed , the main reason wich made me choose to do so is that it changes too much things in a row on the initial behaviors we were expecting for those schedules .
    However , i won't mind at all if you keep an updated dll in there with your changes/improvements .
    This way we can satisfy the users who want to keep using it

Disappointed is more the correct word to use here ;) Moreso because I don't see this re-appear anytime soon (or do I lack too much faith here? :)). The scheduler has been like it is now for eons, and I was doing my best to help improve it.

I can understand there are possible issues that need to be worked out, most of them probably related to the fact that there is a *lot* of duplicate code in MP. The schedule logic seems to be copied in many places unfortunately, instead of being centralized behind a single API. So would it not be a good idea to focus on this? Get all scheduling logic centralized and get rid of the problems that way?

But OK, I guess I will indeed have to keep patching my own local copy of MP then.

Are there any concrete plans to add (something like) my patches soon under another name than "Weekly"?

rtv

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 7, 2005
    Osnabruck
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    dvdfreak of course we'd be interested if someone would like to team up with e.g. Broce to centralize and clean up all code. This would allow a safer expansion of features in the future...
    However keep in mind that at some point Bavarian's personal epg might get finished (it's already in svn and most likely would have to be changed accordingly) and render this discussion useless ;)

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    dvdfreak of course we'd be interested if someone would like to team up with e.g. Broce to centralize and clean up all code. This would allow a safer expansion of features in the future...
    However keep in mind that at some point Bavarian's personal epg might get finished (it's already in svn and most likely would have to be changed accordingly) and render this discussion useless ;)

Ah, OK, interesting, what is this exactly? A plugin that replaces the current scheduler?

BTW: I'd like to add that for my personal needs (and maybe I am alone in this) the MP scheduler is useless to me. My country's (Belgium) programs rarely start on the same hour and "Everytime on this channel" doesn't work either since it would indeed record absolutely everything with that name. So I really really hope some fix for this is close by, since I'm not looking forward to having to patch MP manually everytime there is a new release ;)

Broceliande

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2006
    Present is to fix the existing issues , and indeed there is some redundant code in MP.
    Future will tell about possible new features like yours or others.
    Btw , the most often , we don't only wanna record a show wich plays 'around' xx:xx , but rather any show of this series .
    For that we have 2 kind of schedules already :
    "Record always on this / on every channels"

But OK, I guess I will indeed have to keep patching my own local copy of MP then.

I even said you could keep it up to date here for the users who wanna use it.

Really sorry if you are a bit disappointed by this choice . Talking about your faith is another thing . Time will tell.

dvdfreak

Portal Pro
    June 13, 2006
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Present is to fix the existing issues , and indeed there is some redundant code in MP.
    Future will tell about possible new features like yours or others.
    Btw , the most often , we don't only wanna record a show wich plays 'around' xx:xx , but rather any show of this series .
    For that we have 2 kind of schedules already :
    "Record always on this / on every channels"

Well, unfortunately a lot of us find that option impossible to use because of show repeats. I'd end up with e.g. ten recordings a week instead of one. My HD is quite big, but not THAT big ;)

I even said you could keep it up to date here for the users who wanna use it.

Sure, and I'd be more than happy to do so. If there's interest in that, after all, perhaps I'm one of the few who thinks this is a hard-needed feature :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom