[Finished] Improvement suggestion for Weather Plugin (1 Viewer)

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I tried freegeoip
    {"city": "", "region_code": "", "region_name": "", "metrocode": "", "zipcode": "", "longitude": "174", "latitude": "-41", "country_code": "NZ", "ip": "111.69.XXX.XXX", "country_name": "New Zealand"}
    Country (New Zealand) is correct, but city (Christchurch) is blank, and longitude + lattitude is too far off to be useful (about 500km off, co-ordinates land me in the pacific ocean)

FreeGeoIP is now working correctly for me, they must of updated their data.

chefkoch

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 5, 2004
    Dresden / Munich / Maastricht
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    For me it still detects the different area/city in germany, which is not next to mine at all. So maybe we should start with have 3 to 4 big cities by default, if nothing was configured. We could use those 3 countries where we got the most user from.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I dislike this idea would rather it detected a city that was incorrect for <5% of users, and the user can manually correct the city in the GUI, rather than requiring 100% of users to choose from/alter a default set of cities.

Last edited:

Valk

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Not sure how this would work around the world but I gave it a shot and it got close enough that you could pick the right city.

If you do a trace route and pick up the first hop where you can resolve the hostname (outside the LAN) it's more then likely a exchange in your local area. If you lookup that exchange with freegeoip.net it should get you close enough that you can pick the local major city accurately.

Last edited:

morpheus_xx

Retired Team Member
  • Team MediaPortal
  • March 24, 2007
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Is someone there who wants to take over this part?

Lehmden

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 17, 2010
    Lehmden
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hi.
    This job really cries " @Micropolis ". ;) He's the one and only weather expert here. But I don't know if he wants to work on MP2 at all...

Last edited:

Spragleknas

• Team MediaPortal
  • December 21, 2005
    Located
    Home Country
    Norway Norway
    Great call! (Literally!).

Would be nice to see more devs turning their nose to MP2. Hopefully Micropolis can be persuaded to have a glimpse in to the future :).

Valk

Portal Pro
    February 25, 2006
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Well after I saw this thread was brought alive again I thought why not give my idea a try.

Attached is a quick tool I threw together to do a traceroute and hopefully find the exchange closest to you then it looks up that exchange with freegeoip and shows the result.

If it says "Failed" then something went wrong.

If people want to give it a shot and tell me how accurate it is. If it works for people I might take a closer look and implement it in MP2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom