Improving update process (1 Viewer)

FredP42

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 2, 2009
    Home Country
    France France
    Hello,
    I really like this new way to manage extensions and especially to keep them up to date.
    In fact I was aware of the MediaPortal Extension Installer but I just discover :oops: the plugin inside MediaPortal. This is really great!

For what I understand to update the extensions the plugin looks at an online index file (this one ?) and then for all the installed extensions (or for all extensions in the index file?) look at the URL in the index and download the "update.xml" file and then merge all the files into the KnowExtensions.xml file and the get the address of the installer and so on ...

I have a few remarks:
    - recently, using the MediaPortal Extension Installer, the update was stuck because one of the site was not responding. Maybe a timeout would be useful in this case.
    - I had to kill the process and in result I lost my InstalledExtensions.xml file. I'm not 100% sure that I lost it because of this but a backup of the file before any updates will be nice.

This make me think that a way to improve the process is : instead of downloading the index file and then all the update.xml, to have a process doing it every day (or hour) and then put the KnowExtensions.xml online. This way users will have to download only one file from one site which will reduce connections pb. I don't know if it is possible.

Another thing is that the update.xml seems to contain unnecessary information, such as descriptions and local path.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom