[TV] Include Timeshift Buffer in recording (1 Viewer)

doveman

Portal Pro
February 12, 2008
Home Country
United Kingdom United Kingdom
Glad to see it's being worked on for TVE4. Just want to make a suggestion in case it's not already covered.

I have my timeshift files on RAMdisk to avoid constantly writing to my HD, so naturally my timeshift is limited. If I'm interrupted by a phone call, visitor, etc and don't want to risk my timeshift running out, I should be able to pause and press Record (or vice-versa) and it should record from where I am (includling the timeshift buffer in the recording) and then when I unpause, it should play from the recording on the HD.

CanadianEh

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 21, 2011
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    +1 for this feature

I just converted over from SageTV and this was the first HUGE item I found that is missing in MediaPortal :( I used this feature all the time in SageTV. It's almost a deal-breaker for me :(

I see that there's an experimental feature in a debug mode - does this exist in the 1.2.2 release? If so, I'd love to try it out if there were clear instructions on how to enable it.

Brudertac

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 26, 2006
    Augsburg
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    +1 for this feature

I just converted over from SageTV and this was the first HUGE item I found that is missing in MediaPortal :( I used this feature all the time in SageTV. It's almost a deal-breaker for me :(

I see that there's an experimental feature in a debug mode - does this exist in the 1.2.2 release? If so, I'd love to try it out if there were clear instructions on how to enable it.

Just add "/debugoptions" as Parameter and then start the Configtool on the Client. Under TV you find the Debugoptions. There is a Switch for that Feature.

kkendall

Portal Pro
    April 24, 2007
    Gouda
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Tried it. This function simply does not work in 1.2.2.

What doesn't work? The "/debugoptions" option for the configtool or the option to include the timeshiftbuffer?
    Still, I hope it becomes a standard feature (include timeshiftbuffer) soon...been waiting for that for years...

omriamos

Portal Pro
    May 21, 2008
    Home Country
    Israel Israel
    I just lost a very important TV show that I wanted to record because of this missing (and also misleading!) feature.

I saw something important that I wanted to record so I went back 5mins and then hit record.
    Everything looked fine (hence misleading) and I was watching the important part again while I though MediaPortal is recording it...
    I then stopped the recording, went to the recorded programs page, just to realized that it didn't record the correct time, but instead - very stupidly - recorded everything that started after I press 'record' while completely ignoring the timeshifting and the fact that the live TV stream showed something completely different then the one being recorded.

This is a thread from 3 years ago so seriously guys... wtf ?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    I just lost a very important TV show that I wanted to record because of this missing ... feature.
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/threads/regeszters-mepo-local-development.121967/

Everything looked fine (hence misleading) and I was watching the important part again while I though MediaPortal is recording it...
    What made you think MediaPortal would record from the timeshift buffer like that?
    No other STB or software that I know does that, and MP has never claimed to be able to do it either...

What do you think we could do to make it clearer that the buffer is not being recorded?
    We support manual recording while timeshifting. Do you expect us to warn that the timeshift buffer is not being recorded when starting a manual recording while timeshifting... even though we don't support recording from the buffer in the first place?

This is a thread from 3 years ago so seriously guys... wtf ?
    I understand that you're annoyed that you missed your recording, but please keep your comments civil and constructive.
    What exactly are you trying to say?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom