Incorrect Genre saved in music database (1 Viewer)

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    We fall back to V1 only when a V2 is missing or invalid.
    looks like the one you mentíon has a problem.

You still have my mail address, send me the file in question.

mchadwick

Portal Member
    March 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    I've e-mailed you 2 sample mp3 files; One is picking up the correct v2 tag while other is falling back to the v1 tag, even though (as far as I can see) they are both tagged the exact same.

One other (small point) the "(" and ")" characters in the v2 tag are missing in MP... I will check this evening to see if they have been read and stored in the DB (i.e. then just a display issue) or if they were not read/stored at all.

zombiepig

Portal Pro
    March 21, 2005
    Melb, Aus
    Home Country
    One other (small point) the "(" and ")" characters in the v2 tag are missing in MP... I will check this evening to see if they have been read and stored in the DB (i.e. then just a display issue) or if they were not read/stored at all.

i get this too, with the genre tag in all my flac files.

mchadwick

Portal Member
    March 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    hwahrmann is the man!

Yep hwahrmann has fixed the ")" + "(" problem in the latest SVN build...

Regarding the incorrect Genre, hwahrmann has checked a couple of my files (i.e. the ones reporting incorrectly) and discovered that the tag header size recorded in the file does not match the actual size of the tag header and the genre that I've saved in these files is out past the end of the recorded header size in the file. Therefore the IDv2 genre tag is not found and the DB importer program falls back to the ID3v1 tag...

So, this weekend I'll be upgrading to the latest SVN build to correct the "(" + ")". And I'll also be retagging all my files using ID3-Tagit (http://www.id3-tagit.de/english/index.htm) or The GodFather (http://users.otenet.gr/~jtcliper/tgf/) [as recommended by hwahrmann] to try to correct the tag header size problem.

Hopefully at that point all of my files will be imported correctly... I'll report back again at the weekend.

Again a big thanks to hwahrmann for all his help.

mchadwick

Portal Member
    March 2, 2006
    Home Country
    Ireland Ireland
    Finally, I got around to try this out yesterday... and yes, presto all is fixed!
    So, in summary I had 3 separate problems;

1) "(" and ")" characters embedded in the genre tags were not appearing in MP, hwahrmann has fixed this in the nightly snapshots

2) Some ID3v1 genres (i.e. BritPop) were in the extented range and were appearing in MP as "unknown", hwahrmann has also fixed this one in the nightly snapshots by adding the extra extended ID3v1 genres

3) During the music DB import MP was having difficulty reading the ID3v2 Genre tag for some of my MP3 files and was falling back to the ID3v1 genre tag. With hwahrmann's help we discovered that this was a problem with my tags... iTunes had added some extra comments to the files in question without correctly updating the tag size attribute and iTunes had pushed the genre tag out past the legitimate tag size... therefore MP cound not find the ID3v2 genre tag.
    I used "The GodFather" tagger to remove all of the comments from my files (which also correctly recalculated and updated the tag size) and re-imported and everything is not 100% correctly read into the expected genres.

A lot of thanks to hwahrmann for all his help...
    MP is now a joy to use for my music collection

Dale#1976

Portal Pro
    September 21, 2006
    Home Country
    Canada Canada
    I've got the same problem with my Genre listings. Tried what Mchadwick did using the Godfather program. I removed comments from all files. Now most of my songs are cut short/don't finish before it jumps to the next. Anyone else have that problem with The Godfather program?

My Genre listings seemed to have been lost when I went from version 0.2.1 to 0.2.2. Now I am running a SVN from January 30th.

hwahrmann

Development Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • September 15, 2004
    Vienna, Austria
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    hmm, normally that shouldn't happen.
    you can fully trust Godfather. i never heard that it destroyed files.

can u share a file with me, which seems to be corrupted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom