Initialising Direct X please point me somewhere (1 Viewer)

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Hello all,

I have upgraded a 32 bit HP Pavilion a309uk machine to windows 7 32 bit & I have graphics card ATI 9200 AGP card. When running DigiTV & on XP in the same machine I could record with no problems. 25 gig hd & 2 gig memory. When clicking on MediaPortal I get the Initialising DirectX... & because I have turned on aero faintly beneath I can read the error message

"Switching to the reference rasterizer a software device that implements the entire Direct 3D feature set but runs very slowly"
    I click OK & then a warning pops up saying nothing will be rendered & to check if my graphics card & drivers meet the minimum spec.

As you see I have the ATI 9200 AGP graphics card, not sure what memory it has I can't see it under device manager, the memory that is, I can see the card, but I think 1 gig. Does anyone please have a hot fix for the DirectX freezing game? I do hope someone can point me to a nice easy download link for Windows 7 32bit ?

thanks & here's hoping

Lacanox

jehe

Portal Pro
    February 15, 2011
    Home Country
    Belgium Belgium
    Hi lacanox,
    Can you please post your logs, without these no one can help you
    Jean

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for your reply, as I am hoping to record something tonight, last episode of the Killing, I uninstalled meidaportal by full un uninstallation so it would not interfere with Media Centre. I am off & away for Christmas so I will now leave it till the new year, but I do want to use mediaportal so I will try again then & send you my log files. but thanks again, have a good Xmas. Do I use windows event viewer or is there a way to save & send logs from within MP?

thanks again:)

Paul

Paranoid Delusion

Moderation Manager
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 13, 2005
    Cheshire
    Home Country
    Under windows START menu, go to Team-Mediaportal\mediaportal folder there you will find debug mode, run this, use option 1, then attach the created file to this thread.

Your graphics card may only have 64mb of memory, they came with that or 128mb max, if my memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    Your GPU isn't good enough, you need a minimum of an HD 4650 AGP (works on AGP 4x and 8x) ,XFX do a version which is still available , and 'CATALYST 12.3 AGP legacy' to get the best out of your present PC (if it has a 4x/8x AGP slot).

Absolute minimum but old and legacy are the ATI X800 and X1950 AGP and CATALYST 10.2, I wouldn't recomend this route though as the HD4650 is so much better and less restrictive.

MP and media playback is more GPU reliant than DIGITV app.

To test your PC without GPU restrictions you could use the TVSERVER with the MPTvClient v1.3.4 and VLC for playback.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/forums/mptvclient-stand-alone-tv-client.262/

Last edited:

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Thanks for those replies, jolly kind of you all. I agree my current PC is very low spec these days. I did get a Geforce 6200 AGP card but my PSU is only 250 watts, so it didn't work. Anyway chaps & chapesses you all have a lovely break I am off to France on the Eurostar, I hope we can resume this in the new year.

Happy holiday,

Paul

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    Hello chaps again, hope you have all had a good break.

I am now going to re-install media portal. My system is HP Pavilion 309uk processor Intel Celeron 2.4ghz 2 gig of RAM graphics card Radeon 9250 with 128 memory. Direct X 11. Windows 7 pro with an experience index of 1.0, very low I know. if anyone can point me to a thread for installing media portal on such a low machine that would be great.

Here we go then ....

SciDoctor

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 2, 2005
    England
    MP is not realy the problem. Your GPU is the problem.

Have you checked you are using the best drivers for the card CATS 10.2 are the last available. EDIT a quick check on ATI website and W7 drivers are NOT available for the 9250, the basic OS drivers included in W7 will not be good enough.

Have you checked the AGP aperture settings in your motherboard bios, with low GPU memory you need to set for 256Mb or 512Mb (your 2Gb of system memory will accept this) with your 9250.

With the failure of the NV 6200AGP card I expect you have a non intel Chipset motherboard possibly VIA, VIA has compatability problems with late generation AGP cards especially those using pci-e bridge chipsets.

The DX error you are getting is down to the OS not finding suitable hardware, drivers, DX files or all of these to run the app.

Last edited:

lacanox

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2012
    Home Country
    so installed & then full un install because windows would not launch the mediaportal configuration tool it says it has stopped working. i think I will have to look at how to upgrade this computer to a better PSU processor & graphics card. so for the meantime it is back to the very unreliable Windows media centre,

Cheers

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom