Operating System Inplace upgrade to Server 2012 R2 (1 Viewer)

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    • Admin
    Hello,

I am running Windows Server 2012 Essentials on my main server machine. After migrating a couple of clients to Windows 10 in the last days, I am considering to switch from 2012 Essentials to 2012 R2. Now I don't really want to start a completely new installation as this is an awful amount of work and would paralyze my TV at home. Alternatively I could buy a new SSD and do a new installation in parallel before actually switching off the old setup.

Does anyboy have experience with migrating from 2012 Essentials to 2012 R2?

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Country flag
    Does anyboy have experience with migrating from 2012 Essentials to 2012 R2?
    Not from Essentials to 2012 R2, but did an in-place upgrade from 2012 >> 2012 R2 a while ago without issues.
    I suspect you need to copy some drivers after the upgrade, since those aren't included in 2012 R2. Got mine included in case you don't have access to a Win 8.1 client. Simply run server_bdasetup.bat on your Server 2012 R2 OS and you should be good to go.

Alternatively I could buy a new SSD and do a new installation in parallel before actually switching off the old setup.
    Just make an image/backup of the disc before you do the upgrade, then you can always restore.

Attachments

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    • Admin
    Maybe I wait until the new Server 2016 will be released.

HTPCSourcer

MP2 Product Manager
  • Team MediaPortal
  • May 16, 2008
    Germany Germany
    Country flag
    • Admin
    On second thought I wonder why even bothering. The advantages of running WSE 2012 are fading away with WSUS no longer usable for Win 10 Home machines. I currently have just three Win 10 Pro units left, for which a WSUS is kind of overkill. Instead I could change to standard online update and activate local network sharing. But let's see, maybe somebody finds a way to have the Home systems connect to the WSUS again.

breese

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • July 11, 2011
    Arlington Heights, Illinois
    United States of America United States of America
    Country flag
    I am right in the middle of building my 1012 R2 server.
    6 core 3.3mhz
    16G ram
    500G Sata Drive
    NEC D1-10 12T Raid connected thru dual ports fiber channel.

Server runs real good.
    Installed and messing with Hyper-V. Have 2 virtual Win 7 machines so far.
    1 for testing
    1 for my web server.

I am about 3 months into the build / configuration and am glad so far.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

OP Similar threads Forum Replies Date
    A [solved] DiseqC problems after upgrade to 1.25 General Support 1
    DHosein 1.25 Upgrade and movie covers/backdrops General Support 9
    cerberus Erfahrungsbericht Upgrade Win 10.1909 MP 1.24 Installationsprobleme? 2
    G [solved] Black Screen on all videos after upgrading to either 1.23 or 1.24 from 1.22 General Support 4
    404 [solved] EPG problem after Win10 'upgrade' General Support 1
    F [solved] Could not find the MediaPortal.Common.Logging.ILogger service after upgrading from 2.2.2 to 2.2.3 General 2
    G MP1 TV Server "failed to upgrade the database" using MS Sql Server Installation, configuration support 3
    T Upgrading HTPC for 4K General 5
    joecrow Online Videos fails after MP 1.23 upgrade. 1.23 Pre Release 37
    johns11 Multiple programs responding to IR commands since upgrade from 1.12 Remotes 3
    D PC rebuild & MP2 upgrade - how to preserve database and settings? General 1
    W Playback stuttering after upgrade from MP1 on Windows 7 to MP2 on Windows 10 General 2
    R [solved] TV Server after upgrading from MP 1.18 to MP 2.2 General 14
    caveman Upgrade from Mediaportal 1.X to 2.2 General 6
    B Is it Feasible to upgrade a working Mediaportal 1.20.100.0 to V2? Newcomers Forum 1
    T [further infos missing] MP2.2 client crashes on open (after upgrade) 2.2 Archive 34
    J Things I noticed with MP2.2 almost within minutes after upgrading it over the 2.13 version General 6
    D Upgrade to MP2.2 pre release fails with failure to start service 2.2 Archive 32
    C Upgrade from ancient MP Installation, configuration support 12
    Steve.Rayner61 TV "Unable to play" on Client - Working until Win 10 Server upgraded to Version 1803 Television (MyTV frontend and TV-Server) 5
    J upgraded to mp2 but have a few queries! General 17
    Undel MediaPortal 1.1 upgrade Installation, configuration support 3
    A Keine Verbindung mit Kodi auf Server Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 11
    CyberSimian Unhandled exception in TV Server TV-Server 0
    Grisu002 Failed to startup - TV Server funktioniert nicht Allgemeines Support- und Diskussionsforum 0