Input on singles vs albums (1 Viewer)

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Looking for some input on how to handle albums vs singles. Now for me this is a problem with every music player I have come across and none really handle things perfertly.

This started when I was planning to limit the album view to only contain items where at the bottom level the tracks actually had a value in the album field. Ie. no album value then it does not exist in album view.

This then made me start thinking about singles... Under the current setup it will group all blank albums tags into one entry and treat that as effectively one album per album artist(ie. just an album that happens to be called "")

But if I filter them out in album view then how would we see them? I tag all my singles with an album tag else there is no consistent way of grouping all the B-sides into one set (perhaps the id3 2.4 tags for grouping would help here??)

Looking for anything on how you handle singles / albums. How you would like them shown in views etc.

blubserl

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 25, 2008
    Home Country
    Austria Austria
    AW: Input on singles vs albums

I handle my Albums, Singles, EPs, Bootlegs exactly the way you described it jameson (by using the album field all the time).

As Folder Structure, i use a scheme like this Genre\Artist\Year - Album Title (Type of Release). For example: Metal\Amorphis\2009 - Silver Bride (CDS) or Metal\Amorphis\1993 - Privilege Of Evil (EP). If it is an Album, I don't write anything in brackets.

When I started properly tagging my huge music collection some time ago, I always wondered, why there is no official tag for the type of release. So right now this information is lost in my mediaportal music database and only visible when i use the file structure view.

In my opinion a solution would be to introduce a custom tag field for this. of course this has the downside, that it would only work for mediaportal. but mediaportal is always one step ahead, right? ;)

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    FWIW, I always try to list singles as being from an album. This can prove difficult sometimes as I have quite a lot of 80's Soul & Funk that sometimes just didn't come from an album at all, so that is where that falls down.

I'm still getting to grips with the music player side of things TBH - and I need to spend some more time sorting out my ID3 tags :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom