InputDeviceMapper Plugin (1 Viewer)

kaburke

Portal Pro
March 4, 2005
Alberta, Canada
InputDeviceMapper has been updated to work with MediaPortal 0.2.0.0. However, most of the functionality of InputDeviceMapper has been superceeded by the InputMapper system included in MediaPortal. The main reason for my updating this plugin was that InputDeviceMapper is able to "learn" a remote, whereas the included InputMapper system requires a predefined set of inputs for each device.

Anyone wishing to write device plugins for InputDeviceMapper should consider using InputMapper instead.

InputDeviceMapper accepts events passed to it by other plugins, maps them to Actions or Keystrokes, and then passes those Actions or Keystrokes on to MediaPortal for processing. Essentialy, InputDeviceMapper provides a centralized location for user-configuration of input devices (remote controls, gamepads, etc.).

By itself InputDeviceMapper does not "do" anything, but, when used in conjunction with an input device plugin such as NewWinLirc or iveDriveIR, it becomes a powerful means of controlling MediaPortal.

The mappings used by InputDeviceMapper are completely configurable, allowing any event to be mapped to any Action or Keystroke, at the user's dicrestion.

Version 0.5 of InputDeviceMapper has now been uploaded. This version updates the plugin to be compatible with MediaPortal 0.2.0.0.

The latest version is available here.

The technical discussion is here.

M

Mediamaster

Hi Kaburke,

First of all TNX for all the work being done by TeamMP on Media Portal!!!
As a real beginner I have a problem which should be easy to solve. Perhaps you can help me. I am running MP 0.1.3 on a Medion Multimedia PC with a X10 beased Remote Control. I did follow the instructions as shown at http://www.geocities.com/arjun8/ . However, this was not succesful. After starting the setup program, the plug in for the Remote Control can not be selected...

The Plug In I have downloaded is InputDeviceMapper-0.4.6-bin.zip. After unzipping the file I did simply rename the file to InputDeviceMapper.dll. This might be the mistake.

Could to please give me some help?

Regards, Paul

kaburke

Portal Pro
March 4, 2005
Alberta, Canada
After unzipping the file you should get a folder named InputDeviceMapper. Inside that folder will be 4 files:
  • 1) InputDeviceMapper.dll
    2) README.txt
    3) INSTALL.txt
    4) CHANGELOG.txt

Installation instructions are in INSTALL.txt, and more complete instructions can be found here (use the latest versions of everything, rather than the versions listed). Note that in step six you would copy the DLL for X10 devices instead of LiveDriveIR.dll - to my knowledge there are two available:
I have not tried them, but either should work.

M

Mediamaster

Hi Kaburke,

Thanks for your quick response!

I have downloaded the file "InputDeviceMapper-0.4.6-bin.zip - version 0.4.6 binary " from URL: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1159130&group_id=107397&atid=647927 . Initially I have unzipped the file with UltimateZip. It did result in just one Unzipped file. This is not the output you described. So on an other PC I downloaded the file again and tried to unzip it with WinZip V8.0. WinZip however comes back with the announcement: "Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive".

Could you again give me some help?

Many thanks in advance, Paul

kaburke

Portal Pro
March 4, 2005
Alberta, Canada
I haven't had any other problems reported about that archive - I have read, though, that sourceforge in general sometimes causes problems with ZIP archives. As a result, I replaced InputDeviceMapper-0.4.6-bin.zip with a new archive. If, after downloading and unpacking the file, you still have problems, try the following:
  • 1) Download InputDeviceMapper-0.4.6-bin.zip
    2) Unzip InputDeviceMapper-0.4.6-bin.zip
    3) If you have a folder, great - it worked. Skip the rest of the steps.
    4) If you get a file (likely named InputDeviceMapper-0.4.6-bin), rename it to InputDeviceMapper.zip.
    5) Unzip InputDeviceMapper.zip. You should now have a folder - proceed with the installation.
Let me know how things work out - it you still have problems, we can figure out another way to get you the files.

M

Mediamaster

Hi Kaburke,

No, it still doesn't work.

First of all when I now try to download the file you uploaded I get the message: ERROR ArtifactFile: Invalid ArtifactFile ID.
Next I tried to rename the old file as you mensioned and to unzip it. This was not successful either, since WinZip is not even able to open the file...

Sorry for creating all this work to you.

Regards, Paul

kaburke

Portal Pro
March 4, 2005
Alberta, Canada
I have e-mailed you the files. Let me know whether or not you get the message. Also, I would recommend that you edit out your e-mail address from your last post.

kaburke

Portal Pro
March 4, 2005
Alberta, Canada
As a note to anyone else who has been reading this thread, I've tested the currently available archive and not had any problems. If anyone else is having trouble, please let me know.

M

Mediamaster

Hi Kaburke,

Great news: your plug in works great!!

As you instructed me to do I downloaded the mbuzina plug in for X10 devices. Here I also had download trouble. I could solve it myself by using Firefox instead of IE. Don't ask me why it helped.... So I also tried Firefox on your InputDeviceMapper file. This still didn't work. However, you solved my problem.

You have been a great help to me. Thanks a lot, Paul

kaburke

Portal Pro
March 4, 2005
Alberta, Canada
Eggert said:
I've got a little problem over here.
I am using InputDeviceEventMapper together with mbuzina's X10 Remote Plugin.
I want to use my remote to change the output device of my vga card (vga<->tvout) via tvtool (www.tvtool.info). But I think the events are only sent to mediaportal itself - not in general. TVtool is set to react with "CTRL-F9" and this does not work with InputDeviceEventMapper.
Any idea how to get this work?
You are correct - actions and keystrokes are only sent to MP, so TVtool will not receive the "CTRL-F9" signal. Offhand, I can't think of how you can get it to work. I will give it some thought though, and maybe someone else has an idea.

(This is in reply to a query that was initially poasted here. I moved the discussion as I thought this thread was more appropriate.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom