Instable hardware - need educated guesses (1 Viewer)

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Hey guys,

since I added a TBS 6981 DVB-S Card to my system and moved to a new flat my system is somewhat unstable.

The symptons are:

- Sometimes problems with TV-Tuning of channels from dvb-c
    - Sometimes HTPC isn't shutting down properly and hanging with a black screen but powered on
    - Sometimes DVB-C-Card is not available in system manager even after reboot
    - Sometimes HTPC isn't powering on. The system LED isn't lighting then and I have to push the power button a few times until it starts.

Since the whole system is pretty build into some furniture I like to have your guesses, what it could be.

My guesses so far are:

- Defective PSU? It's a 400 Watt Bequiet PSU. This would be most likely to the startup issues related.
    - Loose contact on Firewire-connection from mainboard to DVB-C-Card? This would result in TV-Card not detected
    - Defective DVB-C-Card?

What do you guys think and what would you do in my situation? I don't really have the money to buy lots of new stuff, so I like to keep the needed money to a minumum...

Thanks for your answers

porky996t

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • May 21, 2008
    Bolton, Lancashire, England
    Home Country
    England England
    Hi Stig,

Hmmm.. sounds a bit odd. Have you disturbed something when installing the TBS card, or when moving the unit to your new flat?

Is it possible to access to check all connections are OK?

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Will check this today. It makes no sense to not do it.

I am gonna switch power connections since I read that this may be a problem with my fireDTV.

The_Stig

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 5, 2005
    Checked all cables and afterwards PC wouldn't start up anymore. Simply did nothing. Tested with old PSU and it works. Going to buy new PSU now. Hopefully this is the cause for all my problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom