Install and build-up advice (1 Viewer)

Tesla

Portal Pro
January 30, 2009
Texas
Home Country
United States of America United States of America
I'm getting ready to build-up a new MediaPortal box. This will be my 3rd one and my first dual-core. My brother got my old one and loves it.

Please don't flame me for asking this first question but I usually just set them up (MP 1.x, PowerDVD, Free Codecs, Streamed-MP bundle) and "just use them" for a couple of years.

1. Install RC6 or wait for v1.1.0 Release?

2. Do we still follow Goose's Codec Install Tutorial or is SAF 4.x the "new way" to get a lean working setup that plays everything?

I did Acronis Image first and did a test install of v1.0.2 . Whoever added Clear QAM to the TV-Server ... thank-you! With real DVRs and digital cable, I don't use the TV Card much, but it's nice to have a use for it other than just S-VHS capture.

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    MP 1.1 is scheduled for released this friday

I recommend SAF, you might want to try SAF 5.X unlocked version (link in my sig)

Tesla

Portal Pro
    January 30, 2009
    Texas
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    Next weekend huh ... man, that would be cool.

I see the Streamed-MP bundle has grown beyond just TV-Series and Moving Pictures . I'll just install that suite and a few other things and I'll be done. That group sure is doing a good job. Of course, the core MP team is as well.

For testing purposes (outside of MP) I like to be able to play a real encrypted DVD and video files (xvids, avi, etc.) ... so i end up installing PowerDVD and FFDShow. However, any DVD I play in MP is usually an un-encrypted VIDEO_TS folder. Unless I start ripping and trying to play Blu-Rays ... that's all I need except the piece that shows the .SRT subs and maybe QT-Lite.

This box will replace my old one on the main home theater setup. Optical SDPIF is my only connection to the amp. (analog VGA goes directly to plasma). DVDs (and AC3 encoded downloads) should always play DD5.1 and I usually NEO6 (fake matrix) anything lower. I have a few MP3s but most CD Rips are full WAVs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom