Installation Error Message "Could not access network lo (2 Viewers)

coover

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
"Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu Programs\Startup"

Installation would not continue.

I have not used this program before and just downloaded 0.2 RC 2 just this AM. I tried installation using both the "Setup.exe" and the "Setup.msi" files.

I do have .NET 2.0 installed on my Win XP Pro machine.

Khris

Portal Pro
July 2, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Home Country
Canada Canada
Re: Installation Error Message "Could not access networ

coover said:
"Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu Programs\Startup"

Installation would not continue.

I have not used this program before and just downloaded 0.2 RC 2 just this AM. I tried installation using both the "Setup.exe" and the "Setup.msi" files.

I do have .NET 2.0 installed on my Win XP Pro machine.

Please fill out a support template.

coover

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
I am sorry i cannot give you all the information asked for. I am copying and pasting the information your support software gave me ...

Area: Media Portal Program
MediaPortal Version: 2.0 RC2
MediaPortal Skin: -
Windows Version: Windows XP (SP2)
.NET CLR Version: 2.0.50727
DirectX Version: 4.09.00.0904 (9.0c)
Audio Codec: ?
Video Codec: ?
CPU Type: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
Memory: 1 GB
Motherboard: MS-6570 (MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD)
TV Card Model: BrookTree Bt360
TV Card Type: Hardware
TV Card Driver: ?
Video Card Model: Nvidia Geforce FX 5600xt (256 MB)
Video Card Driver: ?
Video Card Resolution: 1024x768
Video Render Type: ?
Audio Card Model: NVIDIA(R) nForce(TM) Audio
Audio Card Driver: ?
Synopsis::

When attempting to install 2.0 RC2, I get an error message "Could not access network location %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu Programs\Startup\"

The Video Driver is (evidently) nVidia Forceware 81.95.

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
Hi,

Just a suggestion off the top. Try re-installing and select "All Users" instead of "Just Me" or whatever it says. Don't know why this would matter, but I guess it's better than no suggestions (except "fill out a support template" :D ).

btw, do you use a network login on that machine?

coover

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
I attempted to install 3 times using "All Users" and got the error message.

The computer is networked wirelessly to 2 other computers and to a wireless router, but there is no network login. However, all transmissions are encrypted and any machine attempting to attach to the network must use encrypted messages, too.

I'll try the installation using the "Just me" option and see how that goes. I suspect, however, that it won't make much of a difference. I'll let you know the results of that.

I really do want to try to use this software as I am very disappointed with the recording ability of ATI's "Digital VCR", which makes terrible recordings. In addition, I haven't figured out how to transfer the recording to a DVD in a format my stand alone DVD player will actually play.

coover

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
Ok, I've now tried the "Just Me" option and I get the same error message.

Evidently, this error message is not common or others would have run into it and either a solution or work around would have been found. That, or it would be obvious that there is something about my setup which precludes installation.

chili

Portal Pro
September 20, 2004
somewhere in the bowels of Texas
I have never heard of that error on this forum but there is info on the net. After a little research (because I'm curious and helpful :lol: ) t looks like something in your registry has been corrupted. It is not specific to MP because the links refer to other applications.

Here are a couple links about that error that pretty much list the same fix...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;886549

http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=knowledgebase.techarticles.articleShow&d=29464

http://windowsxp.mvps.org/msi1606.htm

I really hope this helps you.

coover

Portal Member
December 19, 2005
I appreciate your exploration on my regard, Chili.

The first two links gave virtually the same information. Following the instructions, I ran a regedit, but everything in the registry was as it was supposed to be. There was no corruption in the two subkeys.

The 3rd link was similar to the first two and led to one of the same subkeys. Again, no corruption was found.

The only difference between the installation error I received and the error mentioned in the articles was that the articles mentioned "Error 1606". The error I received had no such designation, but the error description was similar.

I'm guessing that the author(s) of Media Portal included the error message I received within the installation program. Is it possible to send this error message to him, her, or them?

5teve

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 26, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    are you trying to install on a networked drive? i seem to remember something about having to install on a local disk with .net... but im not 100% on that :D

Thanks

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom