Installation never completes successfully (1 Viewer)

pc_ace

June 21, 2022
Home Country
New Zealand New Zealand
I have used the MP2 2.2.2 client and server successfully for quite some time on my HTPC and several previous versions over the years. Now, when I tried to update to MediaPortal 2.4, the installation process never fully completes (although it says that it has successfully installed).
I'm running Windows 10 Build 19044.1766 (Home, 21H2) and MediaPortal 2.2.2 was running successfully earlier today.
As suggested in the installation guide, I removed the earlier version and uninstalled the Dokan libraries.
Now, the install process installs Dokan again and processes the .Net libraries as it should, but never reveals the setup screen for the Server or Client. Instead it announces successful setup completion and the resultant executables won't start.
I have attached my setup log in the hope that it will help the support team resolve this issue.
Thanks and cheers,
PC

Attachments

• MP2-Setup.log
    5.9 KB

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Based on my own experience installing/upgrading MP2 if you have not already done so delete the folder C:\Program Data\Team MediaPortal, you will loose any settings from previous versions but I suspect they have already gone anyway. Also check and if necessary delete C:\Program Files (x86)\Team Media Portal (it should have been deleted when uninstalled). Then retry the install and if it offers an option to Repair or Uninstall click on Uninstall and when complete try again and it should install.:unsure:
    The MP2 installer is known to have a number of bugs and a much improved version is being developed.
    Hope that helps

pc_ace

June 21, 2022
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Thanks. I did remove that folder when it remained after I uninstalled the earlier program. Will try again after deleting both folder's contents and report back.
    Edit Update: Unsuccessful in this latest attempt after deleting all previous components. Will try a new download and fresh install.
    When I attempted a fresh installation, it initialised the setup program and installed the Dokan Libraries (which I had removed earlier) and then the installer simply stopped, declaring a successful installation. Again, no new folders were established, no trace of the Setup server and client options and this time around it did not add any DotNet entries, etc.
    Am at a loss about what to try next...

Last edited:

joecrow

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • August 9, 2012
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Am at a loss about what to try next...
    Sorry but I am too, there must be something left over that is obstructing the install, MP 2.4 certainly does install on a clean system although as mentioned upgrades can be problematic but usually only sometimes. Hopefully someone on the dev. team can help.
    BTW I have never needed to uninstall Dokan!

ge2301

Lead Design MP2
  • Team MediaPortal
  • January 11, 2014
    Stuttgart
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Try to install NetFx471Web manually and then try to reinstall MP2.4.

Edit: please attach new logs, if it fails again.

Last edited:

pc_ace

June 21, 2022
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Try to install NetFx471Web manually and then try to reinstall MP2.4.

Edit: please attach new logs, if it fails again.
    Thanks ge2301. Appreciated.
    Unfortunately, the much later version of .NET installed did not allow me to manually reinstall 4.71.
    What I ended up doing is uninstalling the (unsuccessful and inoperable MP2 2.4) program again and deleted all the temp files in my Windows Users AppData Temp directory plus any other redundant data in the ProgramData Temp folders.
    I was then able to reinstall MP2.2.2 (which had been running without too many issues previously) and then reconfigured the Server, Client and TVSetup configurations to restore their previous values.
    Bottom line is that I now have Media Portal running well once again - and I will only update to a newer version when there's a more reliable upgrade process available. So please keep us informed!
    Appreciate your work. Thanks and cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom