Installation of MP 1.8.0 Hangs on installing MySQL 5.6 (1 Viewer)

russwint

Portal Member
August 8, 2014
Brisbane
Home Country
Australia Australia
I previously was running MP 1.7.0 and attempted to update to 1.8.0 but the installation hung when installing MySQL 5.6. I completely uninstalled MP using the option to erase all MP files and settings and attempted a fresh install of 1.8.0 and it hung when installing MySQL again.

I ran the MP Debug program in an attempt to get the log files but got the following/attached error screen.

upload_2014-8-8_15-29-2.png

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hello and welcome :)

...and attempted to update to 1.8.0 but the installation hung when installing MySQL 5.6.
    Yes, this is a known issue. Sorry for the trouble you've experienced.

I ran the MP Debug program in an attempt to get the log files but got the following/attached error screen.
    That's because you haven't run MediaPortal configuration.

There are a bunch of ways to "fix" the current situation.

One is to uninstall MySQL and let the MediaPortal installer install it again. The reason for the hanging is the database upgrade taking an unexpectedly long time to run. Theory is, if the database doesn't have to be upgraded then you shouldn't run into any problems. However, you may lose all your TV Server settings, channels etc.

Another is to follow the advice given in the threads like this:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...one-after-update-from-1-8-pre-release.126619/

Alternatively, you could try the installer here:
    https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...-during-tv-service-setup.126945/#post-1093223

mm

russwint

Portal Member
    August 8, 2014
    Brisbane
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I uninstalled MySQL - funny thing was I noticed that even though MySQL 5.6 was being installed when I go to uninstall MySQL it says that Ver 5.1 was to be uninstalled.

I downloaded the setup file from the second thread and it to hung installing MySQL 5.6

You mention in your reply that I could not get the log files because I had not run MediaPortal Configuration - I had not even gotten the program installed because the installation hangs.

Is there an installer log somewhere that I can send you?

mm1352000

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 1, 2008
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Hi mm1352000 did you mean to post something in your last post?
    No more than I already posted. Basically I have no idea what is going on at this point, but I'm tagging HomeY to let him know that the patch is not working for you. He has been tracking this issue more closely than I have and may have some additional ideas/info that I have missed.

HomeY

Test Group
  • Team MediaPortal
  • February 23, 2008
    ::1
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I downloaded the setup file from the second thread and it to hung installing MySQL 5.6
    First please take a look at the following folder:
    C:\ProgramData\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.6\data
    And zip the files with the same hostname as your computer. For example when your computername is 'SERVER', the files should be called SERVER.err & SERVER.pid.
    also zip up the 'mptvdb' folder and attach here.

When you completely remove the installation of MediaPortal, it does NOT clean up the MySQL database (in case users use that for something else as MP also).
    So my suggestion would be to remove both MP & MySQL. After uninstalling MySQL, also make sure to delete the userfiles/database, so delete the MySQL folder from your C:\ProgramData (AFTER collecting the files & folder!). Then run the MediaPortal installer again.

You can find the logfiles in the following locations:
    Client > C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\log
    Server > C:\ProgramData\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal TV Server\log

JDWestoby

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • April 9, 2008
    Poltimore, Devon
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    had the same problem - hung installing MySQL, tried it LOADS of times.

Eventually deinstalled anything MySQL based (including the 5.1 - where did THAT come from) deleted the directories in Program Files/Data, rebooted, defragged, rebooted again.

Finally it installed.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom