Installation Problem Win7 64bit - Mediaplayer 11?? BUG?? (1 Viewer)

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
October 10, 2008
Home Country
Germany Germany
Hi all,

I hope this question is not answered somewhere; I have been searching in the forum and in wiki, but I did not find anything.

I am trying a MP installation 1.1.0 final on a complete new Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit installation (my signature still says XP because this is my running installation, just trying how it works on Windows 7 as I want to switch the server).

My problem(s):

Everything runs fine until the deploy tool wants to download Mediaplayer 11; in Windows 7, however, wmp 12 is installed.

- Deploy tool tells me to download "wmp11-windowsxp-x64-ENU.exe". 1st problem: The download link does lead to wmp 6.4 for Win95 and WinNT.

- 2nd problem: If I look for the download by myself (on the microsoft site), I find it, and after doing the genuine check (passed), it provides the download. The download, however, is not possible (file not existing any more).

How to get MP installed on Win7 64?

Additional question: Directx 11 is installed with Windows 7. Why does the deploy tool download directx_March2009?

Thanks!

Alfred

Update:

I found a solution (workaround, or is that the way it should be?) :

Yesterday, I always did try it in the way as I did always with WinXP: I first klicked on "Download Only" because I do have a very slow internet connection. So I was able to copy the already downloaded files to the deploy folder.

Today, I tried the direct installation and checked here which downloads were missing. And: This time it did NOT ask for WMP11, instead, it said "WMP installed". So this problem is solved.

But, 3 more questions:

1. In this way, the deploy tool does not ask for 32/64 bit installation (when downloading only, it does ask) and is installed in the X86 program folder. Does that mean
- the deploy tool does - in this way - know that it is a 64bit installation, or is it a bug?
- MP itself is NOT a 64bit application?

2. still MP wants to install (and does!) directx_March2009, even when directx 11 is installed

3. the above described story when I select just to download, maybe this is a bug?

Anyway, as it is working now: Happy Alfred! :cool:

arion_p

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • February 7, 2007
    Athens
    Home Country
    Greece Greece
    1. In this way, the deploy tool does not ask for 32/64 bit installation (when downloading only, it does ask) and is installed in the X86 program folder. Does that mean
    - the deploy tool does - in this way - know that it is a 64bit installation, or is it a bug?
    - MP itself is NOT a 64bit application?
    MP is a 32bit application. It will never be 64bit (besides there is no point)

2. still MP wants to install (and does!) directx_March2009, even when directx 11 is installed
    DirectX9 and DirectX11 are different runtime libraries. MP is built against DirectX9 and as such requires the DirectX9 runtime (which is not included in the DirectX11 runtime)

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: Re: Installation Problem Win7 64bit - Mediaplayer 11?? BUG??

Hi arion_p,

:D for the answers and explanations, so it is clear why MP is installed in the x86-Folder and why still directx9 is installed.

However, I still think there are some bugs (no problem for me, because I sorted it out, but maybe it should be corrected in future versions):

- the "download only" deploy option does not work, as it still wants to download WMP11
    - in "normal" option, it still wants to download the 32-bit-versions of SQL and MySQL, but for both programs 64bit versions do exist. I downloaded MSSQL 2008 (64) SP1 manually, did the adjustments according to TV-Server/install-SQL-Server-2008 - MediaPortal Manual Documentation, and it works.
    - MSSQL 2008 (64) SP1 : TCP/IP has to be activated manually, and firewall settings are not adjusted by the deploy tool

Alfred

geichel

Portal Pro
    January 11, 2008
    Dortmund
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Hallo,
    I do not really understand your problem. I have done a installation of MediaPortal under Windows7 Ultimate 64Bit without any problems last week.
    So what I did:
    0) First use BackupSettings plugin to save your current MP configuration.
    1) Installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit on a clean harddisk. So I don't use a slipstreamed Windows7 version.
    2) Install latest Windows 7 updates.
    3) Install all needed drivers.
    4) Install SAF 4.0 codec package (At this step I had also to install directx)
    5) Install MediaPortal (Disaster Edition)
    6) Restore your old MP configuration with BackupSettings plugin.
    7) Configure Codecs as mentioned in SAF 4.0 thread.
    8) Have fun!
    Regards,
    Gerrit

PS: I had no problem, that MP Installer wanted to download WMP 11. I never had this problem under Windows7. Maybe, there is a problem with the Windows Version you used.

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    Re: Re: Installation Problem Win7 64bit - Mediaplayer 11?? BUG??

I had no problem, that MP Installer wanted to download WMP 11. I never had this problem under Windows7. Maybe, there is a problem with the Windows Version you used.
    Hi also,
    1. did you try the option "download only" while installing? There is the problem! As mentioned, also on my system this did not happen in the "normal" installation.
    2. did you check which version of MSSQL/MYSQL the deploy tool did install? I suppose it installed the 32-bit-versions. And when I am using a 64-bit-OS, I prefer using the 64-bit-Versions of the database.
    3. I am using the same OS (Ultimate 64)
    4. As mentioned, I do not have a problem any more. It is running now, but I had to do quite a few things manually, and the "download only" option as well as the automatic firewall settings for SQL Server 2008 64 do have - at least to my experience - a bug.
    Regards also
    Alfred

jameson_uk

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 27, 2005
    Birmingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    2. did you check which version of MSSQL/MYSQL the deploy tool did install? I suppose it installed the 32-bit-versions. And when I am using a 64-bit-OS, I prefer using the 64-bit-Versions of the database
    I believe MP has been setup to use 32 bit version of database server regardless of OS. You prefer to use a 64bit database server but this is not the default setup. To use a 64bit database server is a non-standard setup and therefore you would need to do this manually and install your database server first and choose the "use existing" option when installing.

So your bug is that if you select the download only option on Win7 x64 it tries to download WMP11? I will check this tonight on my dev box

AlfredENeuma

Portal Pro
    October 10, 2008
    Home Country
    Germany Germany
    AW: Re: Installation Problem Win7 64bit - Mediaplayer 11?? BUG??

So your bug is that if you select the download only option on Win7 x64 it tries to download WMP11? I will check this tonight on my dev box
    Exactly right! And the provided download link leads to a wrong page (WMP 6.4 for Win95 and WinNT).

To the story of 32/64 bit versions of the database:
    If this is what MP wants, it is ok; but then, I think, the mentioned WIKI TV-Server/install-SQL-Server-2008 - MediaPortal Manual Documentation should be corrected resp. extended with the necessary TCP and firewall adjustments. I can do that if the author of this manual agrees, or give him the necessary information.

chemelli

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • September 28, 2006
    Milano, Italy
    Home Country
    Italy Italy
    MySQL is downloaded as 64bit on x64 OSes and 32bit on x86.

SQLServer on Windows7 is not downloaded as is not scriptable, you must install it by hand if you want that SQL.

Simone

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom