Installing MP on a dedicated drive (1 Viewer)

Tarmac

September 15, 2012
Home Country
Australia Australia
I have a issue where windows looses the tuners on my dual usb tuners and the only way to resolve the issue is to reinstall a saved image of the operating system drive.
This happens when the media centre has a shutdown or crash which can be often and this reinstall seems to work for me.

The issue is any changes I have made to media portal are lost ie recorded programs .

Is there any way to completely install all components of MP on its own dedicated hard drive so that it is not affected by reinstalling the c drive, I have tried using the installer but some components are still installed in c:\programfiles

I have a ssd drive for the operating system and a couple of 2tb drives for the recoreded programs.

Last edited:

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Country flag
    You could either

1. Create a batch file that copies the MP directory contents to a backup prior to restoring image, then do the reverse after restoring the image.

xcopy c:\mpdatadir\ d:\backupmpdata\ /s
    xcopy c:\mpprogdir\ d:\backupmpprog\ /s
    and
    xcopy d:\backupmpdata\ c:\mpdirdata\ /s
    xcopy d:\backupmpprog\ c:\mpprogdir\ /s

2. create the databases on a seperate drive
    http://wiki.team-mediaportal.com/1_MEDIAPORTAL_1/20_Reference/Databases/Central_Database

However would be better to figure out what is wrong with your setup to begin with.

Last edited:

Tarmac

September 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    Been fighting with the tuner issue for a couple of years now , it is a windows issue not a MP issue , that is refered to as a phantom tuner issue on other forums , I originally had the same issue with winmce and caused me to migrate to MP .

What happens is registry has a problem with the dual tuner and looses the settings for the second tuner then creates a new entry.
    I have 2 kiaser bass dual tuner usb sticks , when the issue occurs initially it only sees 2 tuners rather than the 4 but you get no free card errors in MP

Last edited:

Tarmac

September 15, 2012
    Home Country
    Australia Australia
    I havent discovered what changes only read that others have the same issues with windows7 and I dont know how to change the registry or what entry to change.

Reinstalling a backup image is relatively quick and easy for me , I might try a registry backup and reinstall next time and see iff that is easier.
    Does MP write its changes for reocrdings to the registry ?

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    Country flag
    I thought you said the registry changes were screwing up your tuner. You can create a .reg file and just run that to change the registry back.

Users who are viewing this thread