Integrated mplayer support (1 Viewer)

NLS

Portal Pro
April 26, 2006
Home Country
Greece Greece
one doesn't prohibit the other

mpc can cooperate with ffdshow

at least mpc is more or less actively developed (nowhere as active as MP), while ffdshow is not (at least officialy and many "gray" side compilations exist)

Callifo

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 7, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Home Country
    FFDShow does supply a few codecs in one but its not as good as a variety of specific codecs if you know what your after. EG. mpeg2 decoding, it doesnt support hardware acceleration and picture quality isnt as good. And to be honest for a noob, its probably harder configuring ffdshow than it is to tick certain codecs in the installer program.

MPC is a good player, but I still find I have trouble getting it to use the codecs I want to use. It must still fallback to merit's which is where the directshow system is so bad.

Bram

Portal Pro
    December 12, 2005
    's-Hertogenbosch
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Maybe it's a good idea if the people who install all codecs seprately post their peronal selection of codecs here. I don't have the time to test the quality of all codecs. So I use a codecpack that works fine. But maybe the quality can be better with sepperate codecs.

Xetick

May 7, 2006
    NLS said:
    you are a bit misinformed about mpc... you see media player classic ALSO plays just by throwing the executable anywhere and plays whatever you throw at it
    In the documentation it says
    Plays files of any format if your system has corresponding DirectShow decoder
    If you have RealPlayer9 or RealOnePlayer installed, MPC can play Real Media!
    If you have QuickTime installed, it plays QuickTime files
    The documentation is old so that might have been changed.
    MPlayer atleast plays all of those without installing quicktime,realplayer or any directshow filters at all. The most you need to do is copy a extra set of files to the mplayer dir to support some rare formats. But because of that you dont mess with the users computer. If they dont like it just remove the dir. Mplayer even supports playing dvd (Isos) and such out of the box. In one single exe file.

I found one way that might make it easier to correctly integrate mplayer. It's by using the mplayer.exe in slave mode. This works by giving the windows handle on the command line. Mplayer will then use that window to play the move in. It does require some work on the developers side but they wouldn't need to care about totaly integrating mplayer (That is, creating a dll) because the .exe could just be used as is.

Also I found a frontend to mplayer that uses mplayer.exe in exactly this way. It's called MPUI

Cheers
    Joakim

ohdarklord

Portal Pro
    December 31, 2005
    Scotland
    Home Country
    Scotland Scotland
    Xetick said:
    Currently windows has its codecs hell. It's confusing and frustrating for the user to get a HTPC up and running so it plays all formats it should. To add to the confusion you often need to install multiple players to play all formats.

I decided to download mplayer as ive never heard of it before
    When i was testing it out i found it refused to play any of my dvr-ms files

Im happy with the way things are just now but i dont see anything wrong with giving users the option to use other video players aslong as it doesnt affect other users.

gorman

Portal Member
    May 1, 2006
    Xetick said:
    Doing the suggested would help mediaportal get an even better reputation because then users could take a clean machine. Get their soundcard & gfx to work and just install mediaportal. Everything else would be handled by mediaportal! Something not even Windows MC can do.
    This is the approach XBMC has taken, if I'm not mistaken.

EMKO

Portal Pro
    May 4, 2006
    yea XMBC uses Mplayer and it works great. since Mplayer is open source u guys can do the same thing xbmc did. Is this why media portal uses 150mb of ram because of windows media player because i dont get why xbmc can run on 64mb of ram. I like vlc but that program doesnt get updateded as fast as Mplayer does.And not all the ppl here record there tv shows maybe there could be a option for ppl who record tv shows so that it uses windows media player or it just load windows media player for those files and the rest go to Mplayer.

some cool stuff in here http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/tech/slave.txt
    switch_ratio [value]
    Change aspect ratio at runtime. [value] is the new aspect ratio expressed
    as a float (e.g. 1.77778 for 16/9).

wich u can do in a xbmc change the pixel size while playing the video

also [brightness|contrast|gamma|hue|saturation] <value> [abs] is cool when the video is not good

i googled around and it looks like Mplayer does play dvr-ms

plus i belive Mplayer plays almost any type .rar file perfect
    but Vlc only plays some of them

Maybe they could make it so that u choose witch u want to use or you can use both like Windows media player for dvr-ms and Mplayer for the rest. because not all of us use the tv function or not all of us record.that would be cool to turn on or of and use another media player that works well inside MP with the osd and everything

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom