Intel D945GSEJT as TV-Server (2 Viewers)

felldin

Portal Member
August 3, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how my mediaportalsystem should look. I'm aiming for a cheep and power efficient server. I found the Intel D945GSEJT and wonder if anyone knows if it can serve as a TV-server? Will it be powerful enough?

I will use 3 dvb-t cards (usb) and the server should serve 2 clients.

Link to product

felldin

Portal Member
August 3, 2009
Home Country
Sweden Sweden
I find it strange that your server is not powerfull enough. Take a look at this post:
LINK
That guy can use a atom 330 without problems...

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    I doubt it. Please have a look at my current post.

https://forum.team-mediaportal.com/...hardware-do-i-need-dedicated-tv-server-68971/

Even my Athlon64 2800+ 1.8GHZ is not powerfull enough to handle HD streams from 2x DVB-C cards.

Hi Farhope,

I'm 'the guy' mentioned in the post above ;) when you have an analog card then your processor must convert to mpeg stream and write that to your harddisk, but DVB already comes in correct format so no processing should take place, only descrambling but that is (in my case) also done by hardware.

How do you descramble? Do you have a CI or do you use the "we-do-not-discuss-this-here" software solution?

I have attached a screencapture with CPU specs (Intel Atom CPU 330@1,60Ghz)/ HD timeshifting (Eurosport HD)/ CPU utilization for TVServer (10%)

regards,
    Ruud.

Attachments

• Screenshot of tvserver01 ( 192.168.1.200 ).png
      Screenshot of tvserver01 ( 192.168.1.200 ).png
      27 KB

felldin

Portal Member
    August 3, 2009
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    Thanks Ruud,
    I will use a software solution but if your motherboard can run with only 10% load i think I will be able to use the d945gsejt for my purpose.

Once again, rhanks for your reply!

Farhope

Portal Member
    November 29, 2007
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Hi Ruud,
    Thanks for your reply. You are right, I am using 2x DVB-C cards and not using a normal hardware CI cardmodule but indeed a cheap USB/software "we-do-not-discuss-this-here" solution (didn't knew it was illegal :confused:). Also didn't knew that this solution needs such processor power.

update: just found out what was going wrong. Never put your record directory on WHS share: \\home-server\recorded TV but put it in d:\shares\record TV. WHS drive extender was eating my processor trying to synchronize the recorded TV ;)

Ruud

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 5, 2004
    Home Country
    Netherlands Netherlands
    Thanks Ruud,
    I will use a software solution but if your motherboard can run with only 10% load i think I will be able to use the d945gsejt for my purpose.

Once again, rhanks for your reply!

Hi Felldin,
    please note that 10% is for a HD channel, 'normal' channels are much lower (max 5%)
    regards,
    Ruud.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom