Intel dc3217iye as MePo Client (1 Viewer)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Thanks for the heads up, I managed to pester someone on ebay to get them to change their auction to buy it now and got an official microsoft one :) Nice. Build day tomorrow.

mr viggo

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • March 1, 2008
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    For those of you that have the box, does both HDMI ports support audio out? One at a time of course :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    So I've had a little time to play with it. Its nice :) Couple of things that annoyed me some what was the fact the damn thing doesn't come with a power lead (from the transformer back to the wall socket) so if you buy one, be sure to get one of these too. Not all that many places sell the cloverleaf mains cables and I ended up having to travel to Maplins to buy one.. another £9.99 :/

Beyond that, it works nice. I paired mine up with 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 (maximum speed the unit supports) and a Muskin Atlas 60GB mSATA SSD. Its pretty fast. Booting to windows is faster than firing up MePo and does indeed play everything I can find to test it with.
    There were no drivers included in my package, instead a note giving the web address to download the drivers from.. My Windows 7 install found no usable drivers for the wired network or wireless network so its probably worth getting these ready on a usb stick. There is an automated system checker on Intels website but I couldnt get it to run with either IE or Chrome so downloaded everything and memory sticked them from another machine. It seems vary well supported, the latest BIOS update is only a few days old, but I have seen forum threads on intels site with people having various issues with HDMI ports closest the network port not working and the machine doing strange things when only one memory slot is occupied?? But mine works fine. I also did make the registry change discussed on post 46 by Pepijn and that fixed my issue with resuming and turning the TV on / off etc so thats nice, Thanks Pepijn.
    Runs MePo fine and I have all my normal plugins installed.. MovingPics, TVSeries, OnlineVids. MovPics has some 1400 entries and more than twice that in TVSeries and its still nice and responsive when flicking through the list views etc.

The unit is not silent. I can hear mine if the TV is quiet enough but when sitting surfing (like now) it makes no noise thanks to the fan management.

Other things I have discovered is WIFI is not suitable for LiveTV. I installed the mpcie intel centrino adaptor and connect to my router around 80mbps. It almost plays the 1080i HDTV streams, but not quite. To get Auto Refresh Control to work, using UNC paths, the wifi simply can't cope at all with HDTV (or so I am guessing). Got a couple of 500mbps Powerline adapters on the way in an attempt to not drill yet another hole in my walls :) so will see if this improves the situation.
    I also (I think) dropped lucky that my TV (32") uses a bolt on stand at the back so there was a spare couple of screw holes 100mm apart once it was wall mounted. The unit comes with a 100x100 vesa mounting plate and I would assume most large LCDs have the usual 200x200 mount points (mine certainly only has 200x200) so maybe something else to consider.

Windows Experience rates the unit 6.2 out of 7.9 on Windows 7 64bit.

Processor 6.2
    Memory 7.2
    Graphics 6.5
    Gaming Graphics 6.5
    Hard disk 7.9

Total cost was around £400 (excluding software) and I would definitely recommend it for a MePo client. Just a shame it isn't a tad quieter under load. Oh yeah, and the box plays the intel jingle when you open it.. love it :)

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Ha, funny actually because I didn't realise you had to connect it lol. I assumed when it said the antenna was built in there was nothing to do. But yes I quickly realised a couple of rooms away that there was no signal at all and went back and connected the antenna wires (as shown in the manual, which I clearly felt wasn't important to read as usual!).

Right now it is connected at 87mbps and is showing full signal strength.. but it does flicker around down to 65mbps. Maybe this is why I see dropped frames and picture break up on the TV streams sometimes. I guess I should also say that standard definition TV is fine and 720p media files also play fine.
    I need to set up a filter in Moving Pictures to find which media I have thats 1080p to test that. Presumably 1080p will not stream if 1080i won't?

Attachments

• wireless.png
      wireless.png
      34.3 KB

kiwijunglist

Super Moderator
  • Team MediaPortal
  • June 10, 2008
    New Zealand
    Home Country
    New Zealand New Zealand
    If you are talking about having problems due to the network bandwidth...

it totally depends on the bitrate, generally the hdtv 1080i ts stream would use more network bandwidth, unless you have a really high bitrate 1080p movie, eg 40GB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom