Intel dc3217iye as MePo Client (2 Viewers)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    United Kingdom United Kingdom
    Well I assume its bandwidth related. Owlsroost replied to my post saying using the UNC paths increases network usage and its at this point that HDTV fails to stream. I may take it off the TV and try it wired to see if it improves but the powerline adapters should be here tomorrow anyway. I forgot its a TS stream, was thinking 1080i has half the frames but yeah, its not compressed the same is it. Definitely have no movies that size to try.

Theres something happening with my firewalls too thats odd. My server is fine and I can connect to it ok, but the main PC with TVserver on can't be seen unless I disable windows firewall on both that TVServer PC and this intel box? I ran a script from the wiki to auto set the ports open and that didnt help. Wouldn't even respond to pings. Dunno if you have any ideas on that?

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    I skipped over the combobox selector in the bios (typical of me to be honest) and have now set it to Silent. I thought it was just adjustable by the sliders.. That or it was added after I updated the bios to the latest version.

It scares me that its setting the fan to only kick in full at 80+C. Its certainly quieter though :) thanks! Love it though, its like a little magic box lol.

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    When I went into the bios to change this setting, it was already at 72c! I will be able to remove the wireless tomorrow though which may help keep it a little cooler..

4Fred

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • December 8, 2005
    Jönköping
    Home Country
    Sweden Sweden
    I'm happy your happy with it, I'm very happy with mine :)

I don't have the wireless in mine and the only thing I have done is update BIOS, install x64 Win7 and install the drivers.
    Mine never goes over 50c even if watching 720p live tv for hours... I just left it running over night and checked heat using OpenHardwareMonitor and the warmest component was processor at 44c :)

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Setup the powerline adapters today, they only give me sustained transfer rates of around 11MBps so like a 100mb network connection really. They are 500mb adapters with gigabit ports but I guess my wiring is poor (house is only 10 years old though so god knows)..

However the good news is its enough to play HD over RTSP now and everything is playing well, so all good :)

Think I'll try installing that software and monitor mine a bit. Out of curiosity have you mounted it on the back of your TV? I have mine on the TV (using the included mount plate) so the top side of the NUC is like an inch from the wall and the underside against the TV, but I did rotate the mount 90 degrees so the exhaust vents on the NUC point directly upwards to allow the warm air to disperse as best I can away from the unit. Maybe that is contributing to the heat build up I saw.

But I am now a happy camper too :) One other thing I am happy with is the overall speed of the unit. 13 seconds to boot to desktop (although 40-42 seconds to MePo).. its coming to something when software takes twice as long to load as Windows does lol. Guess MS have upped their game in the latest OS versions.

Last edited:

DJBlu

Portal Pro
    August 14, 2007
    Llanelli
    Home Country
    Try running MEPO as the shell and you'll see an improvement from boot to Mepo.

Run regedit
    Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\
    Change the shell value from explorer.exe to {location of Mediaportal}\MediaPortal.exe

If you need the explorer.exe shell then just press ctrl, alt and del. Start task manager. Click file -> run. Type "regedit" then change the shell back to "explorer.exe"

Last edited:

TheBatfink

MP Donator
  • Premium Supporter
  • June 11, 2007
    Nottingham
    Home Country
    Clever. I will try this. I do have it setup to sleep, but with the messing with configs and testing some patches I'm having to reboot lots. Hopefully the need to cold boot will go away eventually.

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom