Interest in North America XM Radio/Sirius internet plugin? (1 Viewer)

Which of these do you use/want support for?

• Total voters

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
January 29, 2006
Denver, CO USA
XM and Sirius are subscription satellite radio services available in the USA.
They also provide their stations to US DBS satellite providers and by internet streaming audio.

ASiDiE

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • January 14, 2005
    USA
    Sirius and XM radio are basically radio stations supplied to you by a satellite. They cost you around 10 bucks a month for the service and you must have some sort of receiver. The stations are sorted by types of music or comedy. Because you are paying for the service you have no commercials (or a very small amount). It's basically the music you want 24/7. It’s mostly for North America but you would really need to hit their website to make sure.

Jonathan, I know that Dish network has Sirius and DIRECTV has XM radio. I am wondering if (with the plug-in) with would be possible to set up?

Tech Geek

Portal Pro
    January 29, 2006
    Denver, CO USA
    Just some suggestions for this plugin.

I'd like the ability to select the station just by typing in the number.
    It would cool to have it search for songs or content by name.

zswman

Portal Pro
    April 23, 2006
    Mountain View, CA USA
    A few feature suggestions:
    1. organization selectable by station genre, simple channel number or "favorites"
    2. login contained w/in xml configuration file and automatically logged-in (i.e., no prmpt)
    3. configurable playlist update interval (again via xml config file)
    4. integration with visualizations (like GForce)

Interesting but not essential:
    5. "now playing" page that retrieves cover art for current artist/song/album

Thanks again for your work on this!

bradsjm

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2005
    New York City, USA
    Home Country
    United States of America United States of America
    zswman said:
    A few feature suggestions:
    1. organization selectable by station genre, simple channel number or "favorites"
    2. login contained w/in xml configuration file and automatically logged-in (i.e., no prmpt)
    3. configurable playlist update interval (again via xml config file)
    4. integration with visualizations (like GForce)

Interesting but not essential:
    5. "now playing" page that retrieves cover art for current artist/song/album

Thanks again for your work on this!
    1. XM limits you to 8 "presets", would you want to use the preset list or a local favorite list without a limit?

2. No problem, login info will be part of a one-time configuration

3. The update interval is determined by XM (I read their config data) which is right now every 60 seconds for all channels and every 15 seconds for the active playing channel.

4. Right now I'm using the built in player so if visualization works with it, it should work fine with this too :)

5. Yep, cover art is retrieved by using the XM integration with Napster (so I can grab the art from Napster.com) although I've not figured out where I able to show it yet.

Other notes, yes, I'll have channel logos too :)

Redfuture

Portal Member
    June 26, 2006
    Indiana, USA
    Home Country
    Looks amazing so far, your EPG plugin was fantasticly simple and perfect. Funny how this is at the top of my wish list now and before you mentioned it, it never crossed my mind. :)

zswman

Portal Pro
    April 23, 2006
    Mountain View, CA USA
    1. XM limits you to 8 "presets", would you want to use the preset list or a local favorite list without a limit?
    I guess I'd like to see a local favorites as I would only access from my local installation of MP (besides the dedicated receiver in my car, the only other way I currently acccess XM is through the subset of channels on DirecTV - this is going to change all that!)

bradsjm

Retired Team Member
  • Premium Supporter
  • October 28, 2005
    New York City, USA
    Home Country
    Some progress updates :)

- Lots of code refactoring work underneath
    - Added a configuration dialogue for setting your username password (and other options eventually)
    - Added code to allow you to exclude "Explicit Language" channels from listing
    - The big news (and most work) is that Now Playing is working (see screen shot) along with album art!

newpicture9ud.png

XM Radio have a partnership with Napster so where there is an album that they have linked to Napster I can grab the album art from Napster (no guessing/searching required!). Other mechanisms (e.g. amazon search) can be added in the future since only a percentage of albums seem to have been linked to Napster yet.

Now, what I really could use help with is SKINNING :) Any volunteers?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom